Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Natures Embellishments - 1st experience with sycamore

I use a lot of sycamore because that is what is in my firewood pile. I would love to see how red or blue works. My first thought was in line with the color of the bronze key shavings.
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

Blog Entries
    I believe I like the dark tones, more natural to my mind. Man I almost forgot, Sycamore is way cool love this one.
    Last edited by Tom Sherman; 04-14-2014 at 8:08 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Tom

Turning comes easy to some folks .... wish I was one of them

and only 958 miles SE of Steve Schlumpf

I'd say, you do what ever "floats your boat". If you choose one color and don't like it, then try another, or try epoxy, or....whatever! Sounds like you got enough pieces to experiment.

Brass would look really nice!!! In my humble opinion.

Roger I had a bowl with a lot more carpenter ant tunnels than that. I finished it last week and sold it Saturday, first item sold that day. I sprayed the holes with brown paint before I completely finished turning it. It highlighted the holes and made a real stunning bowl. Brown or black, either would be good. Nice looking bowl, I'm sure whatever you do it will look great.
    Fred

6. Dark browns, I would probably do coffee grounds.

Would sell far faster here with the holes as is, maybe with some paint. I'm not much on metal inlace of any color, so I guess I won't vote. I think filling them with anything would ruin the piece, sorry.
    *** "I have gained insights from many sources... experts, tradesman & novices.... no one has a monopoly on good ideas." Jim Dailey, SMC, Feb. 19, 2007
    *** "The best way to get better is to leave your ego in the parking lot."----Eddie Wood, 1994
    *** We discovered that he had been educated beyond his intelligence........
    *** Student of Rigonomics & Gizmology

Waste Knot Woods
    Rice, VA

8. Quote Originally Posted by Richard Jones View Post
    Would sell far faster here with the holes as is, maybe with some paint. I'm not much on metal inlace of any color, so I guess I won't vote. I think filling them with anything would ruin the piece, sorry.
    Interesting Richard! What do you think is the appeal of the holes? Why, in your estimation does something like this sell quickly?
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

I vote for dark brown!

I'm in the NO camp on either red or blue. If you lived in Arizona as I do it would have to be turquoise. I suggest the coffee ground treatment. It gives a natural look. If you go the brass filings route I suggest going to a craft store and getting some gold sparkle to add to the mix. Brass filings give a very dull appearance. I've done that and it looks good.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Chandler View Post
    Interesting Richard! What do you think is the appeal of the holes? Why, in your estimation does something like this sell quickly?
    I think its partially because its unusual/unique. I agree its contrary to my way of thinking as well but people around here also seem to love pieces with flaws - worm holes? the more the better, how about a few bark voids? sure bring them on. I don't sell anything currently but seeing what elicits an involuntary response is always interesting.

Nothing at all.

As light as the sycamore is if I filled it at all it would be with sycamore shavings put in a grinder and glue mix.

Sid
    Sid Matheny
    McMinnville, TN

Here is a sycamore chalice with coffee grounds. Just fyi.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

I adore sycamore, especially quartersawn with the figure. I find it terribly hard to "match" anything to it. I have a coffee table that has a qtr.sawn top and cherry legs/undercarriage. I like that combo. So copper might look great.
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe