Thread: Ash Burl Bowl

Ash Burl Bowl

This is a natural edge ash burl bowl about 5" diameter x 3" high. Finish is WOP, buffed and waxed.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Thank you,

Rich Aldrich

65 miles SE of Steve Schlumpf.

"To a pessimist, the glass is half empty; to an optimist, the glass is half full; to an engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be." Unknown author

What a beautiful piece of timber & amazing grain. Your turning & finish has worked well.
    What with this Ash bowl & the last Maple bowl I will have to make a detour to your place when we visit your lovely country in 2015.

Col

Hi Rich,

I really like this one, especially the first picture. It looks like you turned straight into the pith of the end grain. Is that correct? I really like the rings pattern on the inside of the bowl.

david

4. Rich, that's some of the best looking ash I've ever seen, the bowl looks fantastic, something I would be proud to have.

Thank you for the compliments. I was quite pleased that this piece was reasonably solid - you never know with burls. One change I would make is to taper the bottom of the bowl or even taper the whole side more.
    Thank you,

Rich Aldrich

"To a pessimist, the glass is half empty; to an optimist, the glass is half full; to an engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be." Unknown author

Wow! That's a stunning piece! The photos are really well done too.

Who would have thought that piece of wood had that much character hid inside it? You just have to open it up and you did an excellent job. Well done. I like the natural edge, inclusions, and general character, but the wood grain really makes it special.

That is some beautiful ash burl! The pattern is awesome. Awesome with surface and shape of the bowl!

Quote Originally Posted by David Coburn View Post
    Hi Rich,

I really like this one, especially the first picture. It looks like you turned straight into the pith of the end grain. Is that correct? I really like the rings pattern on the inside of the bowl.

david
    Actually, this was a burl that grew like a knob out the side of the tree, so there was not pith. I was surprised that there weren't more inclusions in the burl.

I tried to save the bark, but the cambrium layer was so wet, that it wouldn't stay on the wood. It actually looks better without the bark any way.
    Thank you,

Rich Aldrich