Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: We Owe, We Owe, so Off to Work We Go...Tax Day Arrives

Rod,

Don't you at times have to work in the mountains of Virginia and such places? You don't have to pay taxes on your income when you are working here?

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Riddle View Post
    Rod,

Don't you at times have to work in the mountains of Virginia and such places? You don't have to pay taxes on your income when you are working here?
    Hi Rich, no I pay the taxes in Canada because I'm working for a Canadian company when I'm in Virginia.........Regards, Rod.

I don't quite understand how state income taxes work when one is constantly working in different states. Professional sports players pay taxes in each different state they play in. How come others who travel from state to state for their work don't have to file income taxes for each state they work in?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad Adams View Post
    I always wait until the last day. Why give the government an interest free loan with my money.
    I do it as soon as possible. Why should I let the government have an interest free loan of my money one day longer than they already do . Ideally I would owe them a few bucks at tax time. With all the (read sarcasm here) super-beneficial-adjustments to the tax laws . . . I always seem to get more back than I would have liked to loan them but, I'm getting closer.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Elfert View Post
    I don't quite understand how state income taxes work when one is constantly working in different states. Professional sports players pay taxes in each different state they play in. How come others who travel from state to state for their work don't have to file income taxes for each state they work in?
    Hi Brian, I believe it requires that you pay income tax where the income source is.

In my case, the income source is Canada, not a company in Virginia............Regards, Rod.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Elfert View Post
    Technically they should have to do it; however, most employers don't track how much money one "earns" in each state. There are differences though. My wife works in Ohio but lives in Kentucky. An agreement exists between Ohio, Kentucky, and Indiana. One only pays the state taxes to the state where one lives, not where one earns the money. In the case of my wife even though she's a partner in Ohio and works there, the partnership pays her taxes to Kentucky where she lives.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    Hi Brian, I believe it requires that you pay income tax where the income source is.

In my case, the income source is Canada, not a company in Virginia............Regards, Rod.
    Sure, but professional athletes get paid in the team's home state and country, yet they have to pay income taxes to other states when they play out of state. I don't know if they pay income tax to Canada when they play there. It may be that professional athletes are high enough profile and make enough money that it is worth it for states to go after them.

It would be an accounting nightmare for someone making a middle class income and working all over to have to pay tax to each states. Truckers have to pay fuel tax to each state based on how many miles they drove in that state.