Thread: Remote Switching VFD Powered DC

Remote Switching VFD Powered DC

Looking for a good way to control a 3-Phase, 3hp Cyclone powered by a Teco FM50-203 VFD (not built-in Nema but in Nema Box). The input is 240v single phase.

Considered include:

1. Control Via High Amperage Contactor (between disconnect switch and VFD)
      1. switches (toroid amp sensing, gate, manual) that can trigger contactor coil
      2. wireless remote via fob that can trigger contactor coil

2. Control Via VFD
      1. individual DC latched switches powered by VFD's power supply (or other)
      2. toroid(s) sensing machine activation in circuit panel as latched switch
      3. wireless remote via fob on belt activating VFD via digital controls (preferred)

This last approach (wireless remote connected to VFD) would seem to be the simplest and most direct approach. According to the instructions, with F_10=1 (terminal control) the VFD (just start/stop) can be controlled remotely by a latched switch between #3 and #5. I know nothing about wireless remote (I'm pretty much still watching B&W TV) but I can't see why this can't be controlled by a simple 12vdc wireless remote I can buy "anywhere" for $10! What am I missing - the reps at Factory Automation told me this approach is not possible or they don't support it. Using this approach I can still leverage other functions like slow start (F_01) right?

Lastly, is the preferred approach to have switch disconnect between VFD and power? My understanding (from previous forum posts) was that disconnect on the output side would cause degrading of VFD. But with disconnect on input side, does the VFD retain programming?

Bill, I will have this EXACT question in a month or two as it happens. I know the FM50 can be connected to a simple switch as you mention. The question is, is there a remote controlled version that will do the trick. I wonder if a garage remote could be rigged as such. Out of curiosity, what cyclone are you connecting to?

Doug

It is an older Torit style that I've just relocated and reconfigured as shown.
    Instead of running from 3-phase out of the RPC, planning on using a Teco FM50-203.

DSC_1078.jpg

Very nice, looks like you painted it. Did you rebuild the exhaust side? Awesome space.

Here's what I have waiting for some work on the garage.

image-3798917928.jpg

In situ.

Doug ... nice machine, can't wait to see the photos post installation.

My cyclone, yes, I sand-blasted and repainted the cyclone and stand ...not sure why I wasted my time doing that. I did have a plenum built to my design (the bright work in the photo) by Spiral and then the dust collection part I built myself. The plenum I designed with two openings figuring that if the calculations for the two cartridges were incorrect (Wynn 93L300s w/300ft²) I could double the filter area by adding an additional two cartridges below (though at considerable expense). Part of the issue is that it may be challenging to "back blow" the cartridges in their current location. I had considered building a cabinet allowing the filtration to work in reverse (outside to inside) but realized from conversations with Dick Wynn that only the spun-bond cartridges could be used that way. Besides building the cabinet and mechanicals was a lot of work.

The switches, they're so cheap (every sense of the word no doubt) I went ahead and bought one (two channel) this morning. There are a wide range available on Ebay and Amazon. From reading the FM50 manuals it looks like an easy install and setup (not sure what I'll do with the second channel) and I have high optimism for success. I'll report back probably with questions on how to get it working.

2-channelswitch.png

Update:

Received the little 2-channel wireless remote, attached to the outside of the Nema enclosure and it works like a champ! Used a leftover 200ma 12 vdc power supply that would otherwise have been tossed. Photo attached below. This allows turning the cyclone on or off from anywhere in the shop. Total outlay about $20 and two hours.

CycloneComponents.jpgInteriorNEMA.jpg

System Components
    A. Dust laden air intake (8") from shop.

B. Plenum with two holes feeding the 93L300 filters
    C. Large waste container with optical "full" sensor
    D. 93L300 Filters and support/maintenance infrastructure
    E. Fine dust collection baffle
    F. Fine Dust Collection container
    G. NEMA Enclosure with Magnehelic and one-channel remote wireless on/off switch (turns Cyclone on/off from any station) shown, and VFD/Disconnect/12-VDC Power Supply not shown on inside. The VFD converts single-phase to 3-phase, and allows for slow start, braking, and a variety of on/off controls.

NEMA Interior
    1. Wireless Receiver Panel (wires through door)
    2. 3-phase from VFD to Motor
    3. VFD
    4. Manual On/Off Switch
    5. 115 vac power for 12 vdc power supply (wireless remote)
    Single Phase disconnect
    7. Conduit with single phase power circuits

Last edited by Bill Adamsen; 05-02-2014 at 2:14 PM. Reason: Added photo of NEMA enclosure interior

Well done Bill! Glad everything worked. I especially like the "optical" full sensor. That is one impressive NEMA enclosure. There must be plenty of air circulation room for cooling. I hope I can get my system to look half as nice.

Bill, I hope things have been going well with your system. Are you still happy with the Teco FM50-203 VFD? I will be picking up a VFD soon and if it's working out for you that will be at the top of my list.
    Doug

Delighted ... but I have no experience with alternatives ... so I can't provide a comparison with other brands. That is the 3hp model, so if you don't need 3hp you could likely pickup something less costly. Also, mine is mounted in a rather large NEMA enclosure. I've had no issues with heat or fouling but ... those are both considerations.