Thread: Pill Containers

Pill Containers

If anyone has noticed that I haven’t posted anything to do with woodworking here, that’s because I haven’t.done anything much with wood lately. Health problems have sidelined me for the time being. But as a result I have lots of pill containers.

I’ve got a Kohinoor drafting pencil that I used in high school. It uses the 2 mm lead. When we in class we would sharpen them with sandpaper pads. It was messy with the lead dust getting everywhere I didn’t want it. The idea of BUYING something (cough, choke), um, what?

Solution: I taped a strip of sandpaper to the inside of a pill container. Now I take the top off, twirl the pencil lead around against the sandpaper to point it and put the lid back on. The pencil is pointed and the lead dust is safely contained. I found both 150 and 220 sandpaper work fine.

Anybody else come up with new and unique uses for pill containers?

-Tom Stenzel

Tom, pencils haven't contained lead for many many years. The "lead" is graphite and the only hazard it presents is one of maintaining a smudge free environment.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

Save that graphite and stick it in all your locks - especially remote locks on your vehicles that you seldom if ever use a key in.

I had the drivers side and passenger side locks on my 2004 Honda Odyssey quit working because they were never used - I always used the remote.

Honda wanted over $1200.00 to fix them - and what really took the cake was that the van was just slightly over two years old when they quit working.
    It was out of warranty though due to the mileage.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Anderson NH View Post
    Tom, pencils haven't contained lead for many many years. The "lead" is graphite and the only hazard it presents is one of maintaining a smudge free environment.
    Hi Dave, I know it's not the metal, this was just to contain the mess.

Rich's idea of lubricating locks with the graphite is something I never would have thought of. Now I wonder what would be the best lead, 2H or 6H? Life gets so complicated sometimes. ;-)

-Tom

Blog Entries
    Cool idea for both the sharpening and the re-use of the waste for lubrication. Well done, both of you.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Blog Entries
    One obvious use is to store small parts like screws or nails in them, but be sure to label each one. I have been known to use either the lid or the body of the bottle to mark a corner radius.
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Anderson NH View Post
    Actually pencils never contained lead. When graphite was first discovered 500 years ago it was thought to be a kind of lead, and the name stuck.

screw gun bits. Then I draw a pic of what it is on the top, square, Phillips, etc.

I live in the Uk and I am a pharmacist I use the stock container we have in the dispensary to store nuts bolts and lots of other items

The stock container have the volume etched on the base and I use one container to measure milk and water to make Yorkshire puddings

If you want to remove the original label from the containers the best method I have found is to but bioling water in the container the peal off the label If there is a sticky residue left remove with petrol (gasoline)

Blog Entries
    I use the HD white ones from mail order scrips as a extra small sharps container for my diabetic testing junk. Use a red sharpie and put an "X" on them first.
    NOW you tell me...

do you use the child-proof container ?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ray hampton View Post
    do you use the child-proof container ?
    Presuming you are responding to me, yes, I am still able to open them. No kids in the house, and if there were I would be more concerned about them getting into the medicine than getting pricked from a tiny 30 gauge lancelet used by a guy who has been happily married for over 45 years.
    NOW you tell me...

Quote Originally Posted by Ole Anderson View Post
    Presuming you are responding to me, yes, I am still able to open them. No kids in the house, and if there were I would be more concerned about them getting into the medicine than getting pricked from a tiny 30 gauge lancelet used by a guy who has been happily married for over 45 years.
    I drop my used Lancelot into a sharps container, my medicine get dispense once a week into a medicine weekly container so that I do not forget to take the pills