Thread: Felder vs Minimax shaper

Felder vs Minimax shaper

Anyone have experience with the Minimax T 55 W elite shaper? This looks like a nice machine, but there are no reviews of it anywhere.

I am also considering a Felder F 900 Z and am wondering how these two compare, particularly the fence design.

Any help is appreciated!

Is there a woodworking sub-forum on the Robb Report website?

Sarcasm is not my thing but I'd like to make a point and save you the pain of possibly losing a lot of money buying a lot more machine than you need. Here's the deal; Shapers are light-to-heavy industrial machines. Look at the weight. Look at the cutter diameters the machine can spin. Consider sanding time if you want to produce a lot of work. UNIQUE and other manufacturers produce shaper/sanders.

You might consider a used machine if your needs or appetite run to heavier industrial machines. Sliding tables on shapers are useful in some production shop applications but other than that I am dubious of their value for anything other than profit-focused work. While you're at it, look at the Martin shapers.
    Last edited by Loren Woirhaye; 04-15-2014 at 10:59 PM.

3. these machines don't compare at all. You must have noticed the vast price difference? minimax = hammer /// scm = felder

Quote Originally Posted by nicholas mitchell View Post
    these machines don't compare at all. You must have noticed the vast price difference? minimax = hammer /// scm = felder
    Not really true. The high end MM is at least somewhere between the 900 and 700 ( and maybe more like a 900 but I can't verify ) and basically the same build as the SCMI Nova series. Both machines are never going to wear out in a hobby environment and neither will compete with Martin or the SCMI Classical series. The 900 has a new fence design - I think - so you should check that out. The old "240" fence had good adjustability but was a little small for Aigner plates IMO. Look at the quill and bearings. It is the mass of the quill and the way the spindle is machined into it that is important. There are minor plusses and minuses about the bearing designs of each but only relevant in a production environment. Dave

PS I'm a used guy but have a Felder 7 series, 2 T130, a Knapp, and a Martin T21 for what that is worth.

I like the look of the T55. I have a shop full of Minimax/SCMI stuff and it has treated me well. The SCM Nova and Casadia F205 are the same machine as far as I can tell. Lots of mass, and will swing a big cutter. Reviews on this class of machine will be rare as it is on the edge of industrial so no homeowner reviews. Homeowner reviews are suspect anyway. I put that purchase on hold but this machine was at the top of my list. If you don't really need the slider you can jump up too the Class series for a hair less. I have a shaper with a tenoning table and I don't use it much at this time. If you do buy one I would love to hear what you think, and maybe run over and take a close look at it.

Don't know anything about the Felder/Hammer machines at all so no help there.

Larry

6. My mistake. Just looked up the T55 and it's specs and features put it solidly in the 700 felder class. There is a 200kg weight difference between it and the 900 though, which is noteworthy.

I looked at the literature for the new 900 and it looks to have some mass added. It has basically the same internals as the Format. I like the morse taper spindle better but the Felders and definitely easier to change. Hard to buy new when used are so cheap in comparison though. Dave

Thanks guys. Several years ago at IWF I overheard some owners complaining about something related to their Format fence. I don't remember exactly what that was--just thought I would see what would come up here.

I'm looking to make a substantial investment in equipment--two new shapers, the other a TF130, or two Felder 900 series--one a slider. Also looking at a new wide belt--not certain what I think of Felder's offering yet, but leaning toward SCMI's 43".

I would like to buy all from one company to get the best price I can--so trying to be happy with the T 55. My Felder K915 acts up when I push it hard--so have some concerns about Felder being production quality.

I'll look at Martin, but doubt I can get one really nice machine for $22k--correct me if I'm wrong.

Greg

Your right about not getting into a really nice new Martin for $22k, but an SCM may be doable? I might also think about adding a classic industrial shaper for the jobs where you have to "push hard". The newer shapers have some nice features that may allow for better production, but I've never thought of the Felders or Minimax as true production machines. They've always seemed a better fit for small furniture shops or similar. If you have certain parts that you need to make that push the limits of the machine an older Martin or SCM may be a better choice? And hey if you do decide to look for an older Martin I happen to know of one for sale…..(shameless self promotion)

good luck,
    JeffD

I vote used 5 axis Thermwood.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.