Thread: Stanly #80 Cabinet Scraper or Veritas?

Stanly #80 Cabinet Scraper or Veritas?

I am taking a class in a few months at Mark Adams School of Woodworking on box making with Adrian Ferrazzutti. One of the tool requirements is a Cabinet Scraper. I have use a card scraper over the years but have never used a cabinet scraper. As I look on the internetfor information what comes up most is the old Stanly #80’s. Not a bad thing said about them. But in my web reviews the Veritas comes up also with good reviews. Basically I am looking to see what the forums thoughts are on the Stanly and the Veritas and who has used both and what your thoughts are on them. Any comments would be appreciated on the tools and benefits of them not the price difference. Also if someone has a good used one of either of these that they are no longer using let me know.

Thanks Richard
    Richard Poitras
    Central, Michigan....
    01-02-2006

#80 is an adequate tool. It's a hogging scraper. You hog with it then go back and finish with a card scraper. The scraper protrudes a lot more than a cambered smoothing plane iron and you'll muscle down on the handles. Veritas makes nice stuff, but I doubt the #80 can be topped for the work the pattern does best. A used #80 is as fine a value as a #4... a whole lot of tool for the money.

I was wondering this same thing earlier this week thanks for posting before I did.

My two cents… I am sure a Stanley version is good. I have the Veritas version and can tell you it is great. Given that there is not much of a cost difference between an old Stanley vs. brand new Veritas, I would say go with Veritas. Plus, Lee Valley is a great company and will stand behind their product if anything is less than excellent.

I have one of each (yeah, don't ask), and the Veritas one is nicer. The bottom is bigger, so it is easier to keep it true to the surface you are working (for me at least.) Of course, it could be argued that it may be harder to push as a result, but I don't think so.
    Paul

Blog Entries
    I would like to have a Veritas scraper, but have never pulled the lever.

I have a Stanley sharpened in accordance with David Charlesworth's instructions. It performs great on difficult wood such as figured maple. It improved dramatically when sharpened after reading the Pop Wood article.

I don't disagree with Frank's advice.

Thanks everyone for the info. It looks like I can’t go wrong with ether one. But it sounds like the Veritas is more favored.

Lowell do you buy chance have any links to the sharpening articles you are talking about?

Thanks Richard
    Richard Poitras
    Central, Michigan....
    01-02-2006

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by richard poitras View Post
    Thanks everyone for the info. It looks like I can’t go wrong with ether one. But it sounds like the Veritas is more favored.

Lowell do you buy chance have any links to the sharpening articles you are talking about?

Thanks Richard
    Richard,

It was an article in Popular Woodworking in late 2009 or 2010. I posted a comment about it in May 2010 here on the creek.
    You could find the article and download the issue. I will look for it tomorrow and if I find it, I will post the info here.

I brought the string back up over in Neanderthal Haven.

I found the issue in Pop Wood . The article is in the June 2010 issue of Popular Woodworking. The article is "Success With Scraper Planes" by David Charlesworth. If you check the string in Neanderthal Haven, you will see photos I posted showing the Stanley 80 with shavings on my bench.

You can order back issues from Popular Woodworking.
    Last edited by lowell holmes; 04-18-2014 at 7:27 AM.