Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Many Uses For Shavings

Blog Entries

Many Uses For Shavings

Among the many uses for shavings is to pad one end of a piece while working on the other.

In Progress.jpg

This is a kind of fun project as in the imagination it could be many things.

It is planned to be a 16" pizza peel.

Parts of the handle have been shaped with spoke shaves after this picture was taken.

Some of the rough spots at grain changes have been effectively polished with shavings. That's an old turner's trick.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

2. I have a friend with a composting toilet. unfortunately they don't poop as fast as I woodwork, so I still throw a lot away.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bridger berdel View Post
    I have a friend with a composting toilet. unfortunately they don't poop as fast as I woodwork, so I still throw a lot away.
    Do people have horses in your area? Anyone with a hamster or rabbit?

We sometimes use them for our chickens nests then compost them.

This is getting to the wrong time of year for burning them.

I have thought of bagging them up and trying to give them away at the farmers market.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

I put around 200 gallons of green wood elm shavings (from the lathe) on the flower beds last summer. This spring the beds where the shavings went down are fantastic; black and moist.

I have read that one must be careful with shavings. Some will harm harm the soil. Others, including walnut wood shavings, are supposed to be poisonous to horses and should not be used around them.

Stan

My planer shavings are kept separate from saw and sanding dust. (the planer has its own blower) A couple times a year I use my old ford tractor to scoop them up and put them on my vegetable garden. I add 10-10-10 fertilizer and they turn to dirt quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Among the many uses for shavings is to pad one end of a piece while working on the other.

In Progress.jpg

This is a kind of fun project as in the imagination it could be many things.

It is planned to be a 16" pizza peel.

Parts of the handle have been shaped with spoke shaves after this picture was taken.

Some of the rough spots at grain changes have been effectively polished with shavings. That's an old turner's trick.

jtk
    Holy smokes Jim, what do you have for a pizza oven?

I placed an ad on Craigslist offering the bagged chips for free. Had a couple of families in the area that raise chickens come by and pick them up. Now I just send them an email when I get a couple of bags full.

Quote Originally Posted by Stanley Covington View Post
    I have read that one must be careful with shavings. Some will harm harm the soil. Others, including walnut wood shavings, are supposed to be poisonous to horses and should not be used around them.

Stan
    My grandfather cut and split wood for sport in his retirement (or for something to do more accurately). They always put plain wood chips on their flower beds, mostly red oak and ash, and I'd imagine the end result wasn't something good for the soil. My mother used to claim that it made the soil too acidic for anything other than acid loving plants, but it's not like we ever put a test strip in it to check. I'd sooner keep them out of my garden for the same reason. I don't know what effect they'd have, but I don't need the organic material.

I'm also a potter and use saw dust from reduction material in raku firings.
    Harmony is the strength and support of all institutions, especially this of ours.

When using shaving in the garden, almost all wood will leach out some tannic acid. If you are going to use the chips in the garden you need to compensate by adding lime. When used as bedding for animals, avoid walnut as it is toxic to many animals.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

Have two wood stoves, plane shavings are my favorite way to start a fire.

Jim, I like the padding idea.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Pat Barry View Post
    Holy smokes Jim, what do you have for a pizza oven?
    This one if being made to sell at the Farmers Market.

But it also makes a cool "air" guitar.

jtk

Blog Entries
    No wood stove here. I keep one bucket of shavings for the chacoal briquet chiminey. The rest is added to green waste.
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

Shavings here go in the bougie composter.

Sometimes I wish I had a wood stove. With the stuff I 'make,' I'd probably be better off...