Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wrought Head Nails

Blog Entries

Wrought Head Nails

The look of these appeals to me.

It appealed to the person who bought my bench, or at least he said they did. So another is being built.

This is just a post on using them.

Other ideas are encouraged.

With pre-drilling and the smooth sides it seems these need an improvement in holding power. Even though the bench base is glued the nails can contribute.

Barbed Wrought Nail.jpg

Here a sharp cold chisel is being used to put barbs on the corners of a nail.

Photo Note: The blue tape was added to the chisel because the reflection off of its surface effected the exposure making everything dark.

Here an old auger file is being used to remove a burr from the nail head due to a miss strike. Even with a safe edge file it is good to have a piece of wood under the file to keep from marking the wood.

Removing a Burr.jpg

The piece of wood being used here is the drill spacing template.

So far four templates have been made for these benches. The drilling template has the drill size and the rail size written on the other side.

Two, half templates have been made for the leg layout, short and tall legs. One template has been made for the rail ogee. All the templates have notes on them.

Maybe I should take a photo of the templates.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Thanks Jim. I dig the look too.

I'm unsure of the miss-strike you mean - I 've seen them in completed work, but never used the nails myself. Did you smash the head? Come to think of it, I've noted the way in which one can bend or even chip the head of a common nail. Is this what you're talking about?

Maybe I missed it, but have you posted a picture of the completed bench?

Also, care to share your source for the nails?

Gibsons British Columbia Canada ( near Vancouver )
    Jim:
    I like the look as well.

I bought my nails from LV; the box shown is a Odate Tool Box that was made for our new this year, half Japanese grandson.

The material is quarter sawn Douglas Fir. No finish.

Keep up the good work.

Dave B
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    Very cool Dave!

In my book, nothing better than making something as nice s your toolbox for kids in the family. Thanks for sharing.
    Cheers, Mike

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Bernardo View Post
    Thanks Jim. I dig the look too.

I'm unsure of the miss-strike you mean - I 've seen them in completed work, but never used the nails myself. Did you smash the head? Come to think of it, I've noted the way in which one can bend or even chip the head of a common nail. Is this what you're talking about?

Maybe I missed it, but have you posted a picture of the completed bench?

Also, care to share your source for the nails?
    The miss-strike was a glancing blow. It caused a little burr.

I posted about a similar bench. It sold at the first farmers market this year.

This time I am posted some pictures of the build process involving the Wrought Head Nails.

Today the hinges are being installed. Maybe I should take some shots of that.

Then there are the templates...

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

I used to use horse shoe nails to make "hand made" nails. Stick them in a nail header,and hammer the thick heads down into a 4 facet wrought head (rose head) nail. They are very easy to clinch without breaking the wood because they have thin,flat sided shanks.

I have an 18th. C. Southern pine blanket chest that has hand wrought nails that are not as thick and stiff (to clench) as those "boat" nails they sell with die forged "hand made" heads. If I HAD to clench those,I'd heat them up to an orange heat,and bury them in hot sand to draw the temper out of them at least.

Here's my tool chest with closeups of clenched nails I made from horse shoes.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by george wilson; 04-18-2014 at 4:23 PM.

Blog Entries
    I like the look of the Odate Tool Box, but it doesn't seem like a style that would work for my needs.

I like the old tool tote so it can be filled up for the job at hand.

jtk

Thank Heavens I am not Japanese if that is the tool box!

Gibsons British Columbia Canada ( near Vancouver )
    Thanks guys for the feedback.

George: I should have clarified; the Odate Tool box is more a keepsake box. Our daughter in law wanted told assist me making a keepsake box for our impending grandson.
    Being the little tyke is half Japanese, I thought a Japanese influenced style box would be appropriate. Also, no hinges to break, lid to slam little fingers in etc.
    It is less than 16" long, and fairly light.
    The test was when the daughter in laws father saw it, and he said ' it looks like a Japanese tool box. '.
    Mission accomplished.

I like the trouble Jim is going through - I hope to get down to meet him some day, as I am only a few hours north.

Happy Easter everyone!

Jim,
    Is this nail what we call a cut nail here in the south?
    Yes,
    Happy Easter everyone!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Tilson View Post
    Jim,
    Is this nail what we call a cut nail here in the south?
    Yes,
    Happy Easter everyone!
    It is like a cut nail, but the head is made to a pattern. There are different nails that all look the same other than the head detail.

Here are some more pictures:

These are the templates used to layout parts and spacing.

Templates Sitting Bench.jpg

As things come up notes are written on the templates for future use.

Hinge Spacing.jpg

The piece used for placing the hinges is also used to drill holes for the cut nails.

Butt Gauge.jpg

A butt gauge comes in handy for laying out the hinge mortises.

Butt Gauge 2.jpg

A home made gauge stick and an Odd Jobs are used to center the top to the base to mark the hinge placement. These are used on all four corners to check the centering.

Centering the Top.jpg

And the finished bench.

Bench 4182014.jpg

And with the lid up.

Bench Open.jpg

At least now I have some spare wood if this one sells this weekend. Even if it doesn't sell I may start on getting the parts together to make another so it will be quicker.

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 04-18-2014 at 9:34 PM.

Cut nails are flat,tapered nails. The nails Jim is showing are actually modified "boat nails",which have had their heads swaged to look like hand made nails.

Jim and George,
    Thank you both for your willingness to share with us your knowledge and skill. I would also like to thank all the others who are helping us to learn from your skills.
    Joe

Blog Entries
    I like the look and have used them functionally and decoratively. I used them to hold the ship lapped maple back panels on a dresser. This doesn't do much for show but, I often do things that will cause the chance observer to do a double take somewhere down the line. Its either a twisted sense of humor or that drop on the head when I was a child.

CoD back (3).jpg

Another example is using them in place of pegs as on the picture frame shown.

b-GnG Frame 2 for Mom.jpg . c-GnG Frame 2 for Mom.jpg
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Waitaminnit - you use templates and follow your own instructions?

That's cheating, innit?
    I bet the lid closes tight, and everything.

Show off.