Thread: 1221VS Help Needed, Please.

1221VS Help Needed, Please.

Hi Guys. I had another post on here about how I messed up the threads on a spindle and faceplate. I got the replacement spindle last night and have been trying to remove the old spindle. The Manual shows how to remove it partially so that you can replace the belt. It shows the parts to remove and to loosen the pully set screws. I got those things done. I had a hard time finding the right allen wrench for the pully set screws. The last thing the manual says is to pound out the spindle with a rubber hammer or other hammer using a block of wood. Well, I've given the spindle a few spretty heavy whacks and I don't see any movement at all. After my bad experience with the faceplate set screws, I didn't want to force things and ruin something else. I had called Jet Support to day to find out what size allen wrench to use, but he said to just keep trying until I found the right size. I asked about pounding out the old spindle after that and he didn't tell me to remove any more screws. So I've got this brand new lathe that I've yet to use so any advice you guys have would be appreciated. Thanks.
    Project Salvager

The key to the gateway of wisdom is to know that you don't know.______Stan Smith

Your manual (I googled on line) says it has "x2" set screws. Could it be possible there is 2 set screws in the same hole? I know lots of folks put in a locking setscrew in back of the first one on pulleys. Otherwise it looks to be a fairly straightforward operation. I have not yet had to change the belt on my Jet mini, which I would assume be similar to the Midi.

I assume the pulley is loose. Will it move? Not uncommon to have 2 setscrews in a hole. Any collars involved?

Only two single set screws. I have removed them. There may be a collar on the right. There is a set screw, but I'm not sure that I can get to it since it's inside the headstock close to the side. Pp 28-29 in the manual show it as part 10, spindle sensor collar with #9 M4 set screw. I'll try to get that one loose and see if it makes an difference. Looks like I might have to remove the pulley access door, too? There's nothing in the manual, pp. 20-21, on the set screw in the spindle sensor collar though.
    Project Salvager

The key to the gateway of wisdom is to know that you don't know.______Stan Smith

Thanks for reminding me that I have a 1014vs although I'm not using it. I checked the manual for it, but there's no spindle collar on it and it looks like the belt change is much easier, although I never had to change one on it or my old 1014 either.

We'll be on Kauai next month. Really looking forward to it.
    Project Salvager

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Smith View Post
    Only two single set screws. I have removed them. There may be a collar on the right. There is a set screw, but I'm not sure that I can get to it since it's inside the headstock close to the side. Pp 28-29 in the manual show it as part 10, spindle sensor collar with #9 M4 set screw. I'll try to get that one loose and see if it makes an difference. Looks like I might have to remove the pulley access door, too? There's nothing in the manual, pp. 20-21, on the set screw in the spindle sensor collar though.
    I assume the spindle sensor collar is captive & will need to be removed. Will you not have to reuse it?

Look up Kauai woodturners on the web. Great bunch of guys.

Hmmmm. the spindle collar shows up on the parts list but not on the manual pages that explain how to remove the spindle. It does appear that the collar is mounted to the right inside of the head stock. Also, there's a wire running to the collar from the motor. I'm going to see if I can find a 4mm allen wrench to loosen the set screw on the collar and try some more taps to see if the spindle will move as shown in the manual. I'm starting to get very concerned about this and I'm reluctant to try and really pound on the spindle to get it out. Yes, it is the damaged one, but I don't want to mess up any of the other parts such as the bearings and collar, etc.. I'm not sure what it is, but something is not right with this removable process. I tried some Google searches to see if I could find anything more on the belt replacement. There are a lot of good review comments, but nothing on belt replacement since the machine is still pretty new. I'm no engineer and I can't say that there's a design flaw, but the manual doesn't seem to include all the steps that may be necessary to move the spindle for belt replacement.
    Project Salvager

Stan, I don't think the wire is from the collar itself, but rather from the spindle sensor(mounted on a bracket close to the collar) itself. The spindle collor probably has a magnet(or 2) imbedded in it would be my guess. Whether it needs loosened to remove the spindle depends on whether it is smaller than the hole the spindle goes thru. I can't tell from the diagram. As far as I can tell, the friction fit of the bearings should be the only thing holding the spindle if the pulley is loose(it may be rather snug as well). You should be able to drive the spindle free. I'd use a dead blow hammer and a block of wood. It will take a fair amount of force, I suspect.

In any case you will have to remove the sensor collar before reassembly of course.
    Last edited by Duane Meadows; 04-17-2014 at 2:08 PM.

Thanks, Duane. You are correct on all counts. I have 20 or 30 allen wrenches, but none fit the set screw in the collar so I had buy another metric set. It's a guessing game to find the right size allen wrench and whether it's sae or metric. There are both types on this lathe. They tell you the size of the screw, but not the size allen wrench to use. I finally got the spindle off. There's a groove on the spindle for a bearings keeper. The bearing on the right side is not friction fit on the spindle. The keeper is not so easy to get off either. I didn't check the replacment parts closely and it looks like I got the wrong spindle part and also faceplate. I sent their support an email with pics asking for them to send me the correct parts which I offered to pay for. Man, I hope I never have to replace a belt! I did use a dead blow hammer. You are oh so right, Duane. It does take a lot of force. No telling when I'll finally get this lathe ready to turn something. I sure feel stupid for ruining those threads.
    Project Salvager

Glad you got it apart, Stan. Sorry to hear about the wrong new spindle. I know what you mean, hate learning lessons that way! You aren't the first, and won't be the last. Not having owned a lathe with reverse, I may well have done the same thing. Hope you get it running soon.

Thanks for the help and kind words, Duane. I sent an email with pics to Jet Support and am waiting to hear back from them. I realize that some businesses may be closed today. To make room I have moved my 1014vs out. I'm now thinking of moving it back so I can have something to turn with. I must be addicted to turning along with a lot of other people..
    Project Salvager

Again, thanks to all who helped me. I ended up sending pics of the new spindle and other parts to Jet Support. The guy said it should work. I figured out that the cover, bearing, and keeper have to be mounted to the spindle before putting it into the head stock. The spindle sensor collar has to be positioned just right, too. It was not as hard pounding the spindle back in place as it was taking it out. There's an intermittent scratching noise in the motor and I can hear it when the motor is off and I crank the spindle by hand. Thankfully, I'm back on the lathe and am turning a small walnut bowl for practice on the new 1221. I really like a lot of the improved/upgraded features on it better than my 1014vs.
    Project Salvager