Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gummy Stuff For Allen Set Screws In Lieu Of Loctite Blue?

Gummy Stuff For Allen Set Screws In Lieu Of Loctite Blue?

I have some Allen set screws that are used to level a fence for a shaper. There are four screws that basically tilt a metal bar against another bar that is not necessarily perpendicular to a table. Once I have the fence perpendicular, I want to make sure there is no movement of the set screws.

What do people use to gum-up threads so they are harder to turn or don't loosen by vibration? I know some would use Loctite Blue -- the one you can undo, but there must be some good home-brew remedies. I tire so of resorting to purchasing something that 100 years ago would have been handled by nearby stuff, e.g. chalk, wax, pitch, fine sawdust mixed with something.
    John L. Poole

i've used teflon pipe tape. what i've noticed about the teflon tape is it seems to need some sort of resistance or it will come loose again.

I've used nail polish to lock set screws.

Blog Entries
    Drop of shellac?
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

Not home brew but we used Vibra-Tite extensively during rocket motor assembly. Rocket motors tend to vibrate during launch.
    Good stuff.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Do these screws get locked down or do they rely on sitting against the pressure of the fence to stay at the setting? If the latter a coil spring under the head will stop them moving. If the former I would be looking at the reason the problem occurs.
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening

+1 on the nail polish. Removable, holds pretty well, cheap.

John
    Mcmaster-Carr has a reusable self locking set screw, take a look here. http://www.mcmaster.com/#set-screws/=rkivmw type in (self locking set screw)
    Tom
    Last edited by Thomas Hotchkin; 04-16-2014 at 11:47 PM.

Set screws in my experience have a shoulder, grub screws do not.
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening

Old timers oftentimes used boiled linseed oil as a removable thread locker.
    - Beachside Hank
    Improvise, adapt, overcome; the essence of true craftsmanship.

Blog Entries
    I've used fingernail polish, a drop of lacquer or plain old wood glue to secure screws, but Loctite blue or purple works the best.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

They sell Loctite Blue in the stick form. Can't spill it and it wont dry out. I have probably had mine for over 10 years now...
    http://www.amazon.com/LOCTITE-37643-...s=loctite+blue

One short set screw, followed by a second set screw to lock the first one in place. You just have to remember that there are two set screws in the hole or you will have a very rough time getting it off the next time you need to.

Charley

+1 I do this all the time. Works great on the doorknobs on the kids rooms. They are rough on them

Blog Entries
    Ok, this is a bit crude but works: just booger up the threads a smidge so there is a bit of force needed to screw them in.
    NOW you tell me...