Thread: 1946 Delta Milwaukee Lathe Tailstock Disassembly?

1946 Delta Milwaukee Lathe Tailstock Disassembly?

I am currently restoring a 1946 Delta Milwaukee 12 Woodworking Lathe. I am trying to completely disassemble the tail stock. I have everything apart except I am unable to remove the Cap on the right side of the tailstock. Looking at the Delta schematic for this lathe, the part number is CBL-421 for the Cap. In the Tailstock Modification 12” Lathe #1460 document I downloaded from the OWWM site, it says this part can be removed by unscrewing it with a belt so as not to scratch the lathe with a wrench. ( I posted this same/similar question on the OWWM site but they have been down all day) It notes that it is a right hand thread so I am trying to turn counterclockwise . I have tried to unscrew this part unsuccessfully so far. I get the feeling it is somehow cemented on, maybe the early ones weren’t designed to come off as described. Anyone have any ideas whether it comes off at all or if it just need more persuading?
    Thanks
    Mark

Yes, it unscrews as described, just needs a bit more force.

Any suggestions from anyone on what tool to use or method to apply more force? I used a belt with a pipe wrench and all it does is slip.

Wrapping several layers of electrical or duct tape around it might work.

Thanks for the suggestion

did you try to turn the nut clockwise [not too far ] then turn it counterclockwise, I use a wrench on any nuts that are torque by tapping the wrench end with a hammer[ easy taps

No I will give it a try.