Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Quick foodsafe coat for olivewood

Quick foodsafe coat for olivewood

Quick question.

My friend has some olivewood communion cups he'd like to use tonight without the wood effecting the taste of the wine or juice.

Is there a finish I could wipe on one coat of that would be dry and safe to use in 6 hours?

Appearance is not that important. Dry and sealed.

Thoughts?

Shellac - you can do multiple coats in 6 hours.

If it is wine, don't use shellac. The alcohol softens it.
    If it is grape juice, shellac is great.

I have had olive wood cups from Jerusalem that had no finish. They were fine for the amount of time they have wine or juice for a communion service. After tonight's service, wash, dry immediately, and then use your favorite finish (except wax or shellac).

If you have any wood turners finish, that dries very quickly, even for use today.
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Kent View Post
    If it is wine, don't use shellac. The alcohol softens it. If it is grape juice, shellac is great. I have had olive wood cups from Jerusalem that had no finish. They were fine for the amount of time they have wine or juice for a communion service. After tonight's service, wash, dry immediately, and then use your favorite finish (except wax or shellac). If you have any wood turners finish, that dries very quickly, even for use today.
    I have the general finishes wood turners finish. You think a thin wiped coat of that would work?

It's just grape juice.

People will be taking them home. Prob not to actually use again.

5. +1 on the Wood Turners Finish from General Finishes...........you can put 2 or 3 coats on before tomorrow..........it is a water based polyurethane with driers .........each coat will be ready in 30 minutes or less in room temperature.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Yup, what Roger said.

Thanks guys. I appreciate the quick responses.

Yup. What Brian said.
    Man advances just in proportion that he mingles thought with his labor. - Ingersoll

If it is grape juice, shellac is great.

I have had olive wood cups from Jerusalem that had no finish. They were fine for the amount of time they have wine or juice for a communion service. After tonight's service, wash, dry immediately, and then use your favorite finish (except wax or shellac).

If you have any wood turners finish, that dries very quickly, even for use today.

Actually, Vijay Velji has a video where he spills scotch on a shellac finish with no harm. I've spilled the odd drop of Bushmills on tables as well with no problems. A little bit of wine won't hurt anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Musial View Post
    Actually, Vijay Velji has a video where he spills scotch on a shellac finish with no harm. I've spilled the odd drop of Bushmills on tables as well with no problems. A little bit of wine won't hurt anything.
    There has to be more to this than is being said by Vijay. Alcohol is the primary thinner for shellac, so scotch will have an effect no matter what. Unless there is some sort of additive that resists alcohol. The effect will be proportional to how long the alcohol is allowed to stay on it.
    Last edited by Brian Ashton; 04-18-2014 at 4:25 AM.
    Sent from the bathtub on my Samsung Galaxy(C)S5 with waterproof Lifeproof Case(C), and spell check turned off!

I would recommend carnuba pastewax.

Even small amounts of water have a huge effect on alcohols ability to dissolve shellac. That's how Behcol is sold when ordinary DNA is much cheaper. I've poured 86 proof liquor on a shellac surface and left it for hours to test. The statement that shellac is not suitable for tables and bars is often found in finishing books because it seems logical,but it is greatly exaggerated .

In a service last night I had juice in 9 chalices for over an hour and a half. 2 leaked a few drops. Those were not finish problems but fine cracks in the original piece of wood. The other thing I noticed was that in the very center a couple of the chalices were not sanded as well as the walls, so the finish did not seal there. There was a little purple stain in the middle.

Thanks for the report Brian. I have found this topic interesting. I believe that unsealed fine cracks or rough spots would be an issue.

I did put a few coats of wood turners finish in each one. It kinda worked / helped. The problem is I don't thing these cups had been sanded at all - makes it tough for finish to do much. I imagine that these cups are whipped off very quickly.