Thread: Which bandsaw

Which bandsaw

I'm still shopping for my first real band saw. I was set on the grizzly g0555. Now I'm thinking about going up to the g0513. Any suggestions I don't want to buy more saw than I need just because I want a bigger saw. I'm wondering if the extra 300 is going to help me so far I never did any re saw. A lot of peoe say they use there table saw to resaw. Thanks for any ideas

Quote Originally Posted by karl credeur View Post
    I'm still shopping for my first real band saw. I was set on the grizzly g0555. Now I'm thinking about going up to the g0513. Any suggestions I don't want to buy more saw than I need just because I want a bigger saw. I'm wondering if the extra 300 is going to help me so far I never did any re saw. A lot of peoe say they use there table saw to resaw. Thanks for any ideas
    Buy what you are set on and get woodworking. It will always have some value to resell and upgrade. You are the only one that knows what kind of work you will be doing in the future.

Figure out first what kind of projects you're going to do.A 14 inch band saw is enough for small shop woodoworker. You can do resawing . ripping, book matching , other small wood cutting.But of course, bigger is better , so buy the largest saw you can afford.

Remember that as bandsaws get bigger, the time it takes to change blades becomes longer. Also big bandsaws do not run thinner blades (for general woodworking or curve cuts) as well as a smaller bandsaw, since more absolute force is needed to maintain its tension, which isn't really a problem with big bandsaws, it's just that the difference between proper tension for a small blade and breakage gets smaller and smaller, to where installing a 1/4" blade on say a 36" bandsaw becomes really frustrating... It's like guitar strings, longer scale length requires more tension to tune up to a given note.

Some people will have a large (24" or larger) bandsaw for resawing and a smaller (14") for curves.

I am not familiar with either of those units but have been selling Italian saws for 10+ years and if I could offer one observation on customer experience, that would be, "You can never have too much bandsaw". In other words, I have never had an owner complain about having too much power, resaw height, etc. On the other hand, lost track of the number of guys who have said, "If I could do it over again...".

Buy as much bandsaw as you can afford and if you think that you might be able to use a bigger size than what you are shopping for, then that is a probably a good indicator that you need to either expand your search or save up for a bit longer.

Best of luck with it.

Erik Loza
    Minimax USA
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 04-17-2014 at 4:42 PM.

I got the G0513 a few years ago and have been very happy with it. I really wanted the size to be able to resaw but only once would I have exceeded the 14" of a smaller saw. I agree that if you can afford the space and $$, get the bigger saw.

thanks your reply has helped me im going to get the 14 inch grizzly g0555lanv... its a decent saw a far cry from the sears I had for 20 years.... thanks agin