Thread: E.T. (Eucalyptus and Turquoise, that is)

E.T. (Eucalyptus and Turquoise, that is)

Red Gum Eucalyptus from Tucson, with crushed and powdered Turquoise in the cracks. This deep red is a different color than the Eucalyptus I have been using from San Diego. It is pretty hard wood, so I turned it slower than usual and took very light cuts.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

Very pretty, Brian.

I read that Eucalyptus from Austrailia was introduced to California for the purpose of making railroad ties in the 1850's. But the new growth trees warped and twisted badly when harvested. How does the wood behave on the lathe?

The colors go so well together. I really like the turquoise inlay.

Dave, there are always cracks, even in the best part of the log. It is wet a fibrous at first, then turns hard and twisty. I have had some success with very small chalices with no cracks, but usually you need a way like the turquoise to deal with the inevitable.

That is beautiful wood, Brian. The turquoise goes well with it. Definitely seems worth the effort! Nice job.

I like the turquoise contrast too. How does your shop smell? open your sinuses much? Also make sure you clean off your tools and lathe...
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

Very pretty form and great color. Before being too judgemental about euc. remember there are over 500 species out there and grow differently on different sites.

I hear you Robert. I love wrestling with it. There is so much of the Blue Gum Eucalyptus in my part of San Diego that I figured I should learn to be best friends with it. This was really interesting trying another variety, which I think is Red Gum Eucalyptus, but I have not seen the bark on this piece of wood.

Several years ago we were in the S.F. area and huge Red River Gum trees(to 12' dia.) were not uncommon in the Napa direction. A Holy place for us wineos. Later a guy hustling backyard trees put many dozens of Red Gum and red gum burl blanks on E-BAy at dirt cheap prices. Called him and found out he bought 4 of these monster trees unseen. Lowered the first 3 and no root burla. The fourth had an 11,000# under ground burl--just had to buy a few. It had a 600# burl on it--one of a kind--sent a pic. to a veneer buyer in N.Y.C. and the guy showed up in 20 hours and paid a fortune for the small burl. I thought the big one was fab. burl(100% burl wood) but the small one put it to shame??? PS Half the Euc. species in Australia got named some kind of gum.

Raised in the US (elementary in Lawrence, graduated in Boulder). Now in Israel.
    Good work Brian! I also made a eucalyptus bowl or two. One in three cracked. Keep em out of long batches of sunlight.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Cullen View Post
    Very pretty, Brian.

I read that Eucalyptus from Austrailia was introduced to California for the purpose of making railroad ties in the 1850's. But the new growth trees warped and twisted badly when harvested. How does the wood behave on the lathe?
    Thats Red Gum for sure it moves for ever and as you found can be hard. But the up side is it will finish very well. Nice looking piece out of a difficult blank
    neil

The wooden Potter

Most of the red river gum I turned behaved well--two turned inside out. All the RRG trees I have seen were shaped like a huge live oak--no trunk but big limbs going everywhere. I suspect these full of reaction wood due to tree form. All these were open grown and probably make straight trees and wood when grown in normal stands.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Kent View Post
    Red Gum Eucalyptus from Tucson, with crushed and powdered Turquoise in the cracks. This deep red is a different color than the Eucalyptus I have been using from San Diego. It is pretty hard wood, so I turned it slower than usual and took very light cuts.
    Very pretty -- I'm not a big fan of turquoise, but the contrast is really agreeable on this piece. Lovely work.