Thread: Douglas fir table

Douglas fir table

Theres been so many great projects posted this month thought i keep the ball rolling.Tony ,Nick,Christopher,Randy were kind enough to post ,and Glens american classic arts and craft dresser amazing.

My table is reclaimed fir from a house built in the twentys.I was part of the renovation crew and saved the wood from being haled to the landfill.Most of what i got were the 4x4 post holding up the front porch.Rift sawn and mostly clear.
    The wood was so very dry it resawd very nicely but.I tried to handplane as much as i could the wood was so dry left me scratching my head alot.I confess to using sand paper.
    The finish is shellac garnet and blonde with a few drops of tint.
    The glue is old brown
    The Feet and handles are briar for making smoking pipes.
    And my usual maple drawer runners,yellow cedar drawer sides and tru cedar drawer bottoms.
    The table will be at the OC fair this summer if they accept my entry.Then it will be for me to enjoy.
    I added some close up pics for you to see.Good thing i didnt comment on the layout lines thread in the hand tool forum my scribe line is showing.Oh my so its true. A closed mouth gathers no feet. Thanks for looking Andrew
    Attached Images Attached Images

That is a beautiful table made of very handsome wood.

Was the entire table made from reclaimed wood?

Hello Andrew,

I really like the rail to leg detail and the lifts on the edges of the top.

I also can sympathize about the aged doug fir--my shop has 60+ year old old growth doug fir 2x4's that are nearly impossible to drive a nail into now.

One question-- how did you decide on the foot details?

C

Hi Phil,only the Doug fir was salvaged.
    Hi Christopher,The feet are something I have done before with ebony and walnut.The ebony I have right now I am saving for something different and walnut mellows too much for my liking.The briar blocks I have were a good match with the fir.
    I like matching the color of the feet to the handles.Same idea as matching shoes to a belt.
    Thanks guys for the comments. Andrew

I really like that table, great design and perfect proportions. AND . . .the dovetails are stupendous !! really great work on those !! You might want to mention what the OC fair is for those who don't live in the OC or So California

You match your belt and shoes ?

No wonder my finished furniture looks so out of whack.

Seriously, Andrew, that's one smart looking table. I do like the different woods and the colors.

Is it a special-purpose table, what with the raised top ends and the separate raised back trim ? Are the decorative grooves in the side panels painted ? I can't tell from the photo. The way the bottom rails fit into the legs is very classy.

The leg bottoms kind of look like boots on those long, tall legs. ..A very sleek look.

I love the DT drawers and lip incorporated into the top. How thick are the drawer fronts? Looks like 6/4. Very cool piece. Nice job.

Quote Originally Posted by joe valsi View Post
    I really like that table, great design and perfect proportions. AND . . .the dovetails are stupendous !! really great work on those !! You might want to mention what the OC fair is for those who don't live in the OC or So California
    Thanks Joe I did think about talking about the fair more but i think most here are not interested.Maybe i will post something at the fair later this summer if i get accepted. Thanks for commenting Andrew
    Quote Originally Posted by Yonak Hawkins View Post
    No wonder my finished furniture looks so out of whack.

Seriously, Andrew, that's one smart looking table. I do like the different woods and the colors.

Is it a special-purpose table, what with the raised top ends and the separate raised back trim ? Are the decorative grooves in the side panels painted ? I can't tell from the photo. The way the bottom rails fit into the legs is very classy.

The leg bottoms kind of look like boots on those long, tall legs. ..A very sleek look.
    Hi Yonak,The deal with the raised edge is to look like a pencil roll at the back at least the ends came about when i was defeated but the dry fir.It was like holding a corn broom in one hand and trying to take a shaving off the end of the straws.
    The end panels are some thing i do when i dont have wide enough stock.Always trying to be different. Thanks for the comments Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by Joe A Faulkner View Post
    I love the DT drawers and lip incorporated into the top. How thick are the drawer fronts? Looks like 6/4. Very cool piece. Nice job.
    Hi,Joe Thanks for the comments the drawer front are just under a inch,I do like thick drawer front just like a good thick rib eye steak.Andrew

Those dovatails are very well done. Simple design yet it's rich looking and awesome. Outstanding!

Blog Entries
    Andrew,

Congrats - very well done - I love the design, materials and the execution!

The details; feet, pulls, mouldings around the top (pencil rails?) All fit together beautifully!

Good luck at the fair-regardless of the judges , it's something I would be honored to have built. You will surely enjoy having it in the house.

All the best, Mike

Outstanding looking project !

How many splinters do you get building this?