Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Beginner Guidance for First Project

1. Here's my tips and learnings from using Kreg stuff and from my past year or two getting into making stuff out of wood:

* Another thumbs up on the Kreg Jig. I'm a relative beginner, but have made some nice looking living room quality tables with this jig. Perhaps obviously, you have to plan to make sure the pocket holes themselves on on non-visible portions of the project. Alternatively, you can get wood plugs to plug in the pocket holes. When you glue them in, you'll need to use a flush trim saw to cut off the remaining hangover and then sand down. (Make sure you let the glue dry completely before cutting if you do this.) If they're just going to show on the bottom of places, then maybe you don't care and it's not worth the trouble to fill in the holes.

* The Kreg jig really is awesome. I would, however, suggest the following:
    - Spend the money for the newer, best one. It looks easier / faster to clamp down on the wood. I love my older model, but this is one place where it could be better. They figured that out and fixed it. Though for me it's not worth upgrading, if buying new that's what I'd do.

- Practice first. Maybe obvious. But take some scrap wood parts and put them together. Make sure you're using the right screws. Kreg has charts for which screws to use, how to set the collar depth. It's trivially easy once you've done it successfully a couple of times. But initial set up can be iffy for anyone the first time with such new stuff. One thing that tripped me up at first is I was adjusting the depth based on measuring from the tip of the bit, not the stop collar. (Stupid? Yes. Did it say to do it the right way in the instructions? Sure. Did I understand what I was doing? Not yet. But I figured it out after puzzling over why a piece of scrap wasn't working; not on my beautiful / more expensive oak.)

- Adjust the tool to the real size of wood, not the alleged nominal size. Some guys have fancy shop gear including planers. The rest of us have to make due with off the rack wood and be careful. The measurements are often off. Unless you're using S4S boards, which are ideally much better. And plywood is usually fairly accurate to it's stated size and width. But you still should check.

- Even after getting the pocket holes right, don't overfill the screws in. I typically used a corded drill to do the holes so as not to run out of battery, but it's a powerful drill. So I'd use my cordless with torque setting for putting in the screws so it'll slip once a screw is in reasonably well. Otherwise, you can go too far and push the screw past the countersink portion within the pocket hole. That is, it should be tight, and have pulled in the board your'e attaching, but you don't want to overdo it. (Again, this is something I tested on scrap first. I intentionally pushed through to failure just to see where the limits were.)

- I've seen folks just use pocket holes alone. Once I've dry fitted stuff, I add glue anyway. Why not? Just the usual care to not get too much squeeze out and to clean up later. The recommendation for that is to wait a few minutes until glue is not 'smeary' but is a bit pliable. Then you can peel it off or take it off easily with a knife, before it hardens and becomes a problem. I'm a bit nuts about this and have a black light in a utility fixture, which helps any glue show up. You want it off of there if you're going to stain, because any leftover glue is going to mess up staining. If you try to clean it up while it's still smeary, it can sink in a bit and then there's no easy way to sand it out. (Some guys say that's bs and if you use a damp rag quickly, it's not a problem. To each his own.) For gluing, I've gotten one of those little roller bottle things. Doing it straight from the glue bottle and with a fingertip seems to leave too much on for me. (And yes, again... I know the pros can get this right by feel. I can't yet.)

* Wood Choice
    - I see a lot of folks suggesting plywood. Which is fine. It's strong. Not sure why plain boards aren't just fine as well. I suppose plywood can be stronger. Either way, you can probably get whatever color you want using good quality stain. If you use a high quality board or plywood it should take the stain nicely - assuming you've sanded and prepped properly - and come out really beautiful. If you want it dark / black, that should be quite possible. Then throw some polyurethane silk on top of that and all set.

* Cutting:
    - Once I started getting better and proved to wife I was going to stick with doing this stuff, I got a nice table saw. Before that, I'd have large stuff rough cut at the big box store. Then, at home I'd two other Kreg products, square cut and rip cut, to cut further. The rip cut attaches to your circular saw and lets you rip larger boards. It's a little bit of a PITA to attach and detach, but not too bad. And it's pretty accurate if you're careful.

Post pics when your done!

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Germaise View Post
    * Wood Choice
    - I see a lot of folks suggesting plywood. Which is fine. It's strong. Not sure why plain boards aren't just fine as well. I suppose plywood can be stronger. Either way, you can probably get whatever color you want using good quality stain. If you use a high quality board or plywood it should take the stain nicely - assuming you've sanded and prepped properly - and come out really beautiful. If you want it dark / black, that should be quite possible. Then throw some polyurethane silk on top of that and all set.
    I suppose that they recommend plywood because you need to cut it, but not dimension it. It is also dimensionally pretty stable.

3. Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Pitonyak View Post
    I suppose that they recommend plywood because you need to cut it, but not dimension it. It is also dimensionally pretty stable.
    Good reason. Thanks.

I don't think that constructing a keyboard instrument stand using plywood and pocket screws would be esthetically pleasing or ultimately satisfying in the long run as a project to be especially proud of creating. Even as a first project, I would think that it would not be something I would care to put in my living room. I still have the pair of bookends that I made in junior high school 54 years ago, but it wasn't particularly beautiful, only functional. I would suggest that you pick up some of the Fine Woodworking design books and look through them for inspiration as to designing your table. Most hobbyist woodworkers probably can't produce results as good as those, but there are many who can. They acquired those abilities by looking at great works and trying to figure out how to do those themselves. In particular, you should get some basic hand tools. For the task of building the type of table you want, get a pair of nice Japanese saws and a plane (I have one like this http://www.japanwoodworker.com/produ...134-Blade.aspx which is incredibly easy to use. Consider a scrub plane if you plan to dimension the wood. Also get some chisels and a set of scrapers. Do some reading on how to make mortise and tenon joints as well as dovetail joints. Practice, practice, practice. Actually, it won't take that long. Get some quality hardwood like mahogany or cherry (don't use pine: it's cheaper and softer, but won't make a good foundation for the table you want). Don't make the first table that you come up with. I find the best design comes out of mulling over the ideas for a while. You might want to start piano practice on the kitchen table for a while. Maybe even go to Ikea for an interim table. I bet if you go the plywood-pocket screw route the Ikea table will look much nicer. My projects tend to take a while to complete, but ultimately I am very happy with what I come up with. If your plan is to use this project to get started in woodworking, build it with hand tools and traditional techniques and research the design. You'll never regret doing that.

Also, I want to add that there is a wealth of experience on this web site and that you float any ideas or problems here for opinions on how to solve them.
    Last edited by Floyd Mah; 04-22-2014 at 1:17 AM.

To some extent, I agree with Floyd, but not entirely. The question really becomes, are you able to build this in such a way that the screws are not highly visible from a position where the stand will be viewed. I can't answer that question. I can probably design something where that is the case.

If you use plywood, and, if it is not cut with an appropriate blade, there will be a bunch of tear-out on plywood. I had some hardwood ply cut at a local borg last week and a bunch of damage was done to the plywood by the saw. I expected it and I made plans for it, but, I needed it to be smaller to get it home. I have an appropriate setup to nicely cut plywood after I get it home. You may need a special blade to do this.

If you do use plywood, and if you want to paint this, then you can use some drywall patch stuff along the edge of the plywood to create a smooth surface for painting.

My local Woodcraft will prepare lumber for me so that they will make it flat and square. They charge to do this, but they will do it. If you opt to use regular wood, you may just need to pay someone to do this part for you, or purchase wood that is already flat and ready to be cut and used.

Here's my long overdue update. Thanks for all the help so far! I have yet to cut a piece of wood and I'm so much closer already. Given all that's been said I feel like I should clarify my goals.

The most important goal for me is to have something functional. At the end of the day I want a keyboard presented in our living space to make it more accessible (and enticing) to my kids and family. They don't make the stand anymore and my current stand won't be safe enough. Any stock table will be too high. Plus I'm short (tallest in the family at 5'3" heh) so I can finally have a height that's comfortable for me if I make it. Functional also means sturdy and I think I have learned enough from this thread to accomplish that as it was a concern of mine. More about that shortly. If my kids poke at it and take it up or poke at it and find it uninteresting it's still mission accomplished. I want to give them a chance to discover it. Secondly, but less important is making it look acceptable. I realize this forum is full of accomplished woodworkers and acceptable takes on a different meaning but I'm not looking for perfection or someone to think, "wow, I want one!" Realistically, I can't expect that with my inexperience. Ideally, I make something that makes the thing look like a single unit, not a keyboard on a desk. This is why I want to paint it black to match the keyboard. Unfortunately it won't match the rest of my furniture, but I think if I go for a stain the black keyboard will clash and it will come off more like a "keyboard on a table."

Everything else is really a bonus for me. I want to get my feet wet and use this to explore and see what I can do. There are so many projects around the house that are too daunting but I would love to tackle over time. Bookshelf for my son, stand for my TV, coffee table, etc... It will take long (years) but I'm willing to learn and wait. This stand doesn't have to last forever (5 years max maybe) . I'll buy a real piano if the kids get into it. I have a nice 88 weighted key keyboard already and this is a cost effective way to see if it's worth it to buy the real thing. Hopefully that helps explain where I'm coming from.

As for details, the original picture was Yamaha's stand which doesn't look all that stable. The sketch someone added was closer to what I was thinking. However, as someone as suggested, I think I'll make the back completely one piece instead of two stretchers for more stability. And yes, I will be anchoring this to the wall as well. I'll do a narrow stretcher in the front as well like the sketch.

I did end up ordering both the kreg jig and the kreg rip cut. Thanks for all the tips with that. I do feel like they can prove useful in the future for me.

I guess my one question is about attaching the table top. Can I just use the kreg jig every so many inches and be done with it? Or do I also need to address the corners with a wedge or something as well? I plan on plugging the holes, sanding, and painting to cover visible holes. I don't think I'll do a nicer wood or anything on top because I want it completely covered by the keyboard. Ugh, now I'm thinking I should add a shelf behind for speakers and sheet music lol. Gotta think about this though shouldn't change much.

Well here's what I came up with in SketchUp. Wow is that a cool program to conceptualize your project! It really helped me work out some details. It's different than my original plan but more functional. I guess it's easy to get carried away in designing but I still think this should still be very doable (at least eventually after fixing whatever mistakes happen). I added a shelf for the speakers. The height will be flush with the top of the keyboard. I'm debating on crafting an adjustable sheet music stand but I think that's beyond me at the moment. Plus the keyboard has one for now anyway. It's going to look more like a table than I want but after seeing it in 3D I realize it would quickly get too complicated. If there are any glaring problems with the design please let me know! I got everything in the mail and hoping to start this weekend.

Front
    Piano Stand Front.jpg

Back
    Piano Stand Back.jpg

You can do this.

The top shelf is justa smaller version of the base.
    You can make a very strong joint with just screws and Titebond glue connecting the
    three sides (Left, Right and Rear) to the table top.

Adding the front stretcher will stiffen things considerably.

The difficulty will be in holding the first two sides together while you drive the screws.

None of us is dexterous enough to hold sheets of plywood this large, and drive screw straight.
    You'll need clamps, or help or both.

http://www.twistedknotwoodshop.com/CabinetMaking101.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Matthews View Post
    You can do this.

The top shelf is justa smaller version of the base.
    You can make a very strong joint with just screws and Titebond glue connecting the
    three sides (Left, Right and Rear) to the table top.

Adding the front stretcher will stiffen things considerably.

The difficulty will be in holding the first two sides together while you drive the screws.

None of us is dexterous enough to hold sheets of plywood this large, and drive screw straight.
    You'll need clamps, or help or both.

http://www.twistedknotwoodshop.com/CabinetMaking101.htm
    I'm going to get one of those kreg pocket hole clamps (where on part clamps to the pocket hole itself). Is that not enough? The stand is about 2'x5'x2'. I think I have two clamps that will do the 2' span. Definitely not the 5' span though. What about drilling some pilot holes to get it started straight?

And thanks for the link!

I have never used plywood for the top, which means I always had to worry about wood movement, which means that I did not want to use the kreg jig to screw the top down. If you are entirely ply, this may be an OK solution. I can think of a few other things that you can do that might help, however.

You currently have two side pieces that are connected by a back piece. It looks to me like the back piece is sandwiched between the sides, so, if you use the kreg jig, you could do the rear piece with the screws in the back or the front (since you said that you would cover them). I would usually do it in the back if that is not visible so I could choose to not worry about it. This has another advantage in that the screws will not be pointed to the outer edge so they are less likely to poke through.

You have a piece sandwiched between the sides along the top front.

What if you had a couple of pieces that are say four inches wide along the top. You could then drill some holes in those and use that as an extra attachment point when you screw the top to the sides and back.

You will definitely need at least 23" under the front stretcher for leg room, if any adults will use it, maybe a little less if only children. The top of the keyboard should be about 29" - 30". Our piano is at 29" to the top. In your note about it looks like you are planning on making it 24" tall. If you do not have room to put a front stretcher under the top I would use a steel angle. All of your heights need to be based off the chair that will be used at the table. Sit in the chair at a comfortable height if it is adjustable then measure to the top of the legs.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] "You don't have to give birth to someone to have a family." (Sandra Bullock)

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Pitonyak View Post
    I have never used plywood for the top, which means I always had to worry about wood movement, which means that I did not want to use the kreg jig to screw the top down. If you are entirely ply, this may be an OK solution. I can think of a few other things that you can do that might help, however.

You currently have two side pieces that are connected by a back piece. It looks to me like the back piece is sandwiched between the sides, so, if you use the kreg jig, you could do the rear piece with the screws in the back or the front (since you said that you would cover them). I would usually do it in the back if that is not visible so I could choose to not worry about it. This has another advantage in that the screws will not be pointed to the outer edge so they are less likely to poke through.

You have a piece sandwiched between the sides along the top front.

What if you had a couple of pieces that are say four inches wide along the top. You could then drill some holes in those and use that as an extra attachment point when you screw the top to the sides and back.
    I'm using plywood for the top. It will be mostly covered by the keyboard and speakers. Yes, planning on exposing pocket holes in the back. Thinking of doing the dowel trick for ones I have to cover.

I made the top shelf inside of the legs of the table so I can screw the shelf in from the bottom. I wasn't sure how else to do it. I like your idea though as I can put the shelf anywhere. Might have to do that thanks.

Oh, out of curiosity, what joints do you use for a table top to allow for expansion/contraction if not using screws?
    Last edited by Charles Li; 04-25-2014 at 3:16 PM. Reason: added question

Quote Originally Posted by Moses Yoder View Post
    You will definitely need at least 23" under the front stretcher for leg room, if any adults will use it, maybe a little less if only children. The top of the keyboard should be about 29" - 30". Our piano is at 29" to the top. In your note about it looks like you are planning on making it 24" tall. If you do not have room to put a front stretcher under the top I would use a steel angle. All of your heights need to be based off the chair that will be used at the table. Sit in the chair at a comfortable height if it is adjustable then measure to the top of the legs.
    Thanks, I will definitely have to double check that. The standard height of the top of keys appears to be 28" +/- an inch. Again, since I'm short I'm shooting for 26.75" which is perfect for me. My kids aren't going to reach no matter what at this point. I did opt for an adjustable piano bench so both my kids and I can use it without resorting to adding cushions. Not as pleasant looking but super practical and it's easy to adjust. I did not check leg clearance though. No doubt this will be lower than any normal table. Doing the numbers it's 19.75" for clearance. Maybe I should check this out with an average sized adult heh though really, a piano teach is likely the only other person that would sit at it.

Can you embellish on the steel angle? Is this just like a crossbar or something on the bottom side of the table top?

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Germaise View Post
    Here's my tips and learnings from using Kreg stuff and from my past year or two getting into making stuff out of wood:

* Another thumbs up on the Kreg Jig. I'm a relative beginner, but have made some nice looking living room quality tables with this jig. Perhaps obviously, you have to plan to make sure the pocket holes themselves on on non-visible portions of the project. Alternatively, you can get wood plugs to plug in the pocket holes. When you glue them in, you'll need to use a flush trim saw to cut off the remaining hangover and then sand down. (Make sure you let the glue dry completely before cutting if you do this.) If they're just going to show on the bottom of places, then maybe you don't care and it's not worth the trouble to fill in the holes.

* The Kreg jig really is awesome. I would, however, suggest the following:
    - Spend the money for the newer, best one. It looks easier / faster to clamp down on the wood. I love my older model, but this is one place where it could be better. They figured that out and fixed it. Though for me it's not worth upgrading, if buying new that's what I'd do.

- Practice first. Maybe obvious. But take some scrap wood parts and put them together. Make sure you're using the right screws. Kreg has charts for which screws to use, how to set the collar depth. It's trivially easy once you've done it successfully a couple of times. But initial set up can be iffy for anyone the first time with such new stuff. One thing that tripped me up at first is I was adjusting the depth based on measuring from the tip of the bit, not the stop collar. (Stupid? Yes. Did it say to do it the right way in the instructions? Sure. Did I understand what I was doing? Not yet. But I figured it out after puzzling over why a piece of scrap wasn't working; not on my beautiful / more expensive oak.)

- Adjust the tool to the real size of wood, not the alleged nominal size. Some guys have fancy shop gear including planers. The rest of us have to make due with off the rack wood and be careful. The measurements are often off. Unless you're using S4S boards, which are ideally much better. And plywood is usually fairly accurate to it's stated size and width. But you still should check.

- Even after getting the pocket holes right, don't overfill the screws in. I typically used a corded drill to do the holes so as not to run out of battery, but it's a powerful drill. So I'd use my cordless with torque setting for putting in the screws so it'll slip once a screw is in reasonably well. Otherwise, you can go too far and push the screw past the countersink portion within the pocket hole. That is, it should be tight, and have pulled in the board your'e attaching, but you don't want to overdo it. (Again, this is something I tested on scrap first. I intentionally pushed through to failure just to see where the limits were.)

- I've seen folks just use pocket holes alone. Once I've dry fitted stuff, I add glue anyway. Why not? Just the usual care to not get too much squeeze out and to clean up later. The recommendation for that is to wait a few minutes until glue is not 'smeary' but is a bit pliable. Then you can peel it off or take it off easily with a knife, before it hardens and becomes a problem. I'm a bit nuts about this and have a black light in a utility fixture, which helps any glue show up. You want it off of there if you're going to stain, because any leftover glue is going to mess up staining. If you try to clean it up while it's still smeary, it can sink in a bit and then there's no easy way to sand it out. (Some guys say that's bs and if you use a damp rag quickly, it's not a problem. To each his own.) For gluing, I've gotten one of those little roller bottle things. Doing it straight from the glue bottle and with a fingertip seems to leave too much on for me. (And yes, again... I know the pros can get this right by feel. I can't yet.)

* Wood Choice

* Cutting:
    - Once I started getting better and proved to wife I was going to stick with doing this stuff, I got a nice table saw. Before that, I'd have large stuff rough cut at the big box store. Then, at home I'd two other Kreg products, square cut and rip cut, to cut further. The rip cut attaches to your circular saw and lets you rip larger boards. It's a little bit of a PITA to attach and detach, but not too bad. And it's pretty accurate if you're careful.

Post pics when your done!
    Thanks for the tips. I did opt for the K5, rip cut, & clamp. It's starting to add up so I'm no doubt have to get more projects to make it worth it. I guess that's how I justify my tool purchases. I've had some custom furniture made which is not cheap. Not that I can do the same quality, but should be fun to do and get the same function. I didn't realize some table saw are quite affordable, especially used. Something to think about I guess.

I bought a 2x2 of material to play with tonight as suggested. I'll get a feel for it and hopefully get some rough cut material to start on Sunday. Can test paint poly too.