Thread: Need help trimming step treads .. PLEASE

Need help trimming step treads .. PLEASE

I need some help on running my trim around the step treads. Any ideas & or photos would be greatly appreciated.

steps.jpg

I remember seeing norm A write an article about this once.
    Bob C

Remove the top piece and run a new one all the way down to the bottom tread and cut it up at a 45 degree angle just like in your picture. Fit the bullnose using one of these:
    k309631.jpg to match the stair profile and trim off the riser width difference up to the bullnose. I'd then run the horizontal with the 45 right where the bullnose starts to break and then use the profile gauge on the vertical piece. Pull the baseboard and cut it to dead end into the casing.
    Last edited by Stephen Musial; 04-19-2014 at 10:06 PM.

A more traditional approach would be to cut a "stringer" or "stair skirt" :

Skirt (4-19-14).png

Here's the article I was thing of. It may help some
    http://www.thisiscarpentry.com/page/...-skirt-boards/
    Bob C

Jerry, I like this if I can just figure it out in my mind how to do it now.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Miner View Post
    A more traditional approach would be to cut a "stringer" or "stair skirt" :

Skirt (4-19-14).png

Stringers/skirts are usually installed first--before any other trim or the stair treads and risers. That ship may have sailed in this case. The second complication is that your existing "base" is really casing, which doesn't have a very wide, flat face surface like base does.

Here's what I would do: I'll pull that existing piece of "base" to the left, and pull the casing off the door on the upper right. Then, I'd get some base, and using a scrap as a guide, I'd notch the tread noses back to the face of each riser. Then, I'd put a piece of casing back on the doorway, long enough to get to the floor at the top of the steps (~3/4" longer than the original piece). Now, starting at the left, run the base to the first riser, but put a miter on the end to turn it up: \ Run the next piece vertical, mitering the one end to match the first, and the other end to turn back to horizontal (the bottom edge of the base will be against, and the same length as, the riser). The second vertical piece would have a cut that's both notched for the casing on the doorway, and mitered to accept the final piece of base, which would be a small wedge.

Sorry if that's not very clear, but I haven't had enough coffee yet.
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

Quote Originally Posted by Floyd Cox View Post
    Jerry, I like this if I can just figure it out in my mind how to do it now.
    Floyd---

You can do this. Here's the process. If you want, you can start with a piece of scrap or even cardboard and use that as a template for the "real" skirt.

Skirt Step 1 (4-21-14).pngSkirt Step 2 (4-21-14).pngSkirt Step 3 (4-21-14).pngSkirt Step 4 (4-21-14).png
    Last edited by Jerry Miner; 04-22-2014 at 3:17 AM.

Jerry, thank you. "pictures are worth a thousand words"

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Miner View Post
    Floyd---

You can do this. Here's the process. If you want, you can start with a piece of scrap or even cardboard and use that as a template for the "real" skirt.

Skirt Step 1 (4-21-14).pngSkirt Step 2 (4-21-14).pngSkirt Step 3 (4-21-14).pngSkirt Step 4 (4-21-14).png

Quote Originally Posted by Floyd Cox View Post
    Jerry, thank you. "pictures are worth a thousand words"
    Yes they are. So post a pic when it's done!

Here is a link with pretty much the same info as Jerry posted - http://www.thisiscarpentry.com/2008/...board-toolbox/ Can't hurt to have more ways to look at it.
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge