Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A Kitchen I Designed and Built in the 70's

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cozad View Post
    Absolutely beautiful. I went to the mls and creeped on the rest of the pics they have posted. What an amazing building. Tons of neat little details. Your kitchen building skills are admired here for sure.

I dont know about everyone else, but I really LOVE the microwave stand. I now will be hunting one down for my kitchen. Not to use as a microwave stand, but rather more like a sideboard that swmbo has a cheesy Sauder shelf-thing in place currently.
    Mike, The antique wood fired oven was hooked up and away from the wall when I had it. I used it for heat and cooking. I had unlimited fuel from a busy shop.
    Some notes on the details:
    The countertops are marble. This was before real stone was common for countertops. Corian was the big new thing. The big stone company in town was adamant about only using granite for counters. They said marble stains to much. I got dozens of marble scraps and torture tested them. The worst ones stained less than Corian. I soon became partners with the stone company and sold tons of stone along with custom woodwork. My kitchen was the prototype for a profitable future,I was very lucky. Oh, I got the marble for my tops for free from a bank remodel!

The base cabinets are Brazilian Rosewood and maple. We had a local company that made hardwood plywood. They had extra stock from a custom job,so I got a deal on it.

The floors are 1x10 ponderosa pine and natural danish oiled. After 5 years customers would swear they were original to the 1884 building. Last time I saw them they looked even better.

The story of that building is so much about luck and being in the right place at the right time.

Thanks again for looking and all the compliments.
    Last edited by Andrew Joiner; 04-21-2014 at 12:11 PM.
    "Whether you think you can, or you think you can’t - you’re right."
    - Henry Ford

Beautiful work Andrew.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney