Thread: Ogee Bowl- Campbell School w/ "Prof." Keeton

Ogee Bowl- Campbell School w/ "Prof." Keeton

I meant to post a pic of the ogee bowl that was one of two (the other one was a hollow-form I posted before) projects we learned with Johm Keeton at Campbell School In March.
    This is cherry 8" X 3 1/2" and is the first ogee shape I've done. It was fun and was a great experience. If you have a chance to take a course with John you'll really enjoy it!!

ogee bowl 2.jpgogee bowl.jpgogee bowl 2.jpg

After posting the pic of the profile I noticed that the pic angle made the rim look like it dropped severely. A straight-on view looks better. We had a choice of the rim style in class. I think next time I try the ogee shape perhaps just a simple rounded rim would be a better choice so the emphasis is on the bowl shape vs rim. What do you think?

very nice.....pay attention to what John tells ya

I see a lot of quality work in the piece, but the rim does not work for me. The wood also looks a lot like the Bradford Pear down this way, but cherry does have so many variations in color and grain. John must have given you some good instructions.

Good advice Charlie and thanks.

I need to work on pic quality and composition and lighting.

Thanks for the comments Tom. At the class John brought several bowls that he did ...several of which had a flat vs my sloped rim but with a colored band embellishment that really made for a nice effect.