Thread: First rust hunt of the season

First rust hunt of the season

The boy had no daycare/school today (he's 4), so I figured I'd take him out on a rust hunt. First place had a Stanley 10" brace, which I passed on. They're common as dirt around here - I should start picking them up and offering them on Classifieds for cost. Better than the 2-bit Ebay dealers who will probably end up with them.

Anyway, at an estate sale that was run by a company (meaning that the prices are higher), I stumbled across a Fulton 8" brace. I've been looking for an 8" for a while - my goal this year is to find a 12" or a 14" in the wild as well. Need to drill dogholes and the 10" is a lot of work. The square is 8", and I didn't have one that was bigger than 6, so I threw it in. Tests square.
    RustHunt.jpg

I'm not sure if the house was already cleaned out, because there were a few saws (bent, not worth it) and a bunch of squares and some metal-working stuff. It seemed like it had already been picked through a bit. I'm not sure why I picked up the egg-beater, as it's newish crap with a plastic handle, but my son wanted a soccer ball, and the drill evened it all out to $20. Still, not bad for first of the season.

That's one of the more interesting tap handles I've ever seen; clever.

You bought the eggbeater because, if you run into a good eggbeater on which the springs in the chuck jaws are missing, you can probably scavenge them from this one (points up toward shiny red eggbeater). I bought an even more frighteningly crappy one at a yard sale specifically to use the springs in a Goodell-Pratt I'd picked up.

Yes, Bill, that's the reason! Err. Great idea - I'll keep it in the parts bin. Now, if you can tell me why I bet a King-3 offsuit the other night, I'll be good.

Yeah, I was interested in the tap set, and they kind of came with the calipers, so I figured I'd try it out. Believe it or not, the taps themselves are in fantastic condition. I mean, the brace itself is just sparkling clean and operates flawlessly.

There were a few sets of open wrenches there, marked simply 'drop forged' that they wanted an arm and a leg for. I was hoping to pick them up for a couple of bucks, and the sellers were asking like $10 each. I guess they're collectible?

Hey Patrick I hate to give you a little competition but since I'm 40 minutes away I don't think I will be invading your turf so I hope you don't mind I ask a question. Where do you find these sales are you just driving around or are you do you find them on CL?

Thanks in advance!

Hey Maximillian, you realize all the good stuff is by you, so I'm actually invading your turf! Lots of barn sales and such in your area. Actually, I had family in Blairstown, and there was a great flea market *somewhere* about 30 miles south of Hope. I only took that route once, didn't have much money, and wasn't really into tools at the time. I only have vague memories, but I do remember there being a ton of planes. The only other thing is that there was a good hot dog stand nearby. I suppose I'll never find it.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Bernardo View Post

There were a few sets of open wrenches there, marked simply 'drop forged' that they wanted an arm and a leg for. I was hoping to pick them up for a couple of bucks, and the sellers were asking like $10 each. I guess they're collectible?
    You made the right call passing on those open end wrenches. There are literally thousands & thousands of them out there - how many ever broke or wore out? - and no, the collectors don't care about them either.