Thread: New tool cabinet build, what am I missing?

New tool cabinet build, what am I missing?

So I have been playing the neander game for a few years now and have a pretty good kit. I am ready to build a cabinet for the tools that i have come accustomed to using. Oh, I have many others as I am a borderline tool hoarder but now pretty much know what I like to use and want to build a cabinet around these tools. Like I said I am pretty sure but what am I overlooking/missing from this list. For the record I completely understand there are always going to be special tools for special projects. I am simply building this cabinet for the common most used tools. Special stuff can hang out in the pile with the other stuff I bought cause I thought I needed it . this cabinet will be 6 foot long by 33 inches high x 11 inches deep. It will be in 3, 2 foot sections with a 2 foot door on either end and the middle open with no door.

Here is my list:

Saws: Rip and cc panel saw (old Disstons), Veritas dovetail, LN 16" tenon saw rip, Veritas cc tenon saw, Pair of Veritas carcass saws, Olsen coping saw and a Gramercy kit bow saw.

Planes: Veritas LA jack, Veritas BU smoother, LN scrub, Steve Knight jointer, Steve Night Smoother, Veritas router, Veritas plow, Veritas Skew Rabbet, Veritas LA block, Veritas Skew block LN Model Makers 1-100.

Chisels: I am an absolute chisel hoarder and cannot resist grabbing a $1 chisel at a flea market and re habbing it. So there will be a bunch. But I have the Narex bench and parrers which will go in here. I also have a half dozen Pheil carving chisels.

Marking & Measuring: Tape measure, folding rule, 18" steel rule, 6 & 12 combo square, 4" double square, Marking knife, Marking gauges, dividers, Veritas straight edge

Misc: Mallets, hammer, dead blow, chisel hammer (removable rubber end kind), nail set, level, eggbeater and bits, brace and bits, rasps 3, files several to include saw sharpening files, rasp brush and file card. and a bench brush. Sharpening equipment is in a separate location and not needed to list for this.

I am trying to do this in sketchup to include the spacing for the saw till and plane rack.

Bottom line is what is the glaring omission here. I am typing this at work and alot of my stuff is in boxes till I get this built so it is all not right in front of me to see.

Thanks, John...

Any wooden molding planes? Old chests had a good amount of space allocated to a set of hollows and rounds and special molding planes.

Good point George. Sadly I do not own any at this time. I did purchase Matt B's book but still have not found a good set of h&r at size 6 or so to try. Thanks, John.

Blog Entries
    What about:

Spoke shaves and draw knives? I have been having a bit of a love affair with mine since picking the Preston reproduction up from LV.

Drawers? I have a lot of small things that work best in drawers like gimlets, block plane blades, drawing equipment like dividers, compasses, small rules and calipers.

Your marking and measuring looks a little thin. Do you have bevel gauges, protractors, tri squares or dovetail markers?

Scraper blades?

Screw drivers and awls?

Then there is the bench furniture. By this I mean bench hooks, bench dogs and assorted wedges and such used on the bench at various times.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by john davey View Post
    So I have been playing the neander game for a few years now and have a pretty good kit. I am ready to build a cabinet for the tools that i have come accustomed to using. Oh, I have many others as I am a borderline tool hoarder but now pretty much know what I like to use and want to build a cabinet around these tools. Like I said I am pretty sure but what am I overlooking/missing from this list. For the record I completely understand there are always going to be special tools for special projects. I am simply building this cabinet for the common most used tools. Special stuff can hang out in the pile with the other stuff I bought cause I thought I needed it . this cabinet will be 6 foot long by 33 inches high x 11 inches deep. It will be in 3, 2 foot sections with a 2 foot door on either end and the middle open with no door.

Here is my list:

Saws: Rip and cc panel saw (old Disstons), Veritas dovetail, LN 16" tenon saw rip, Veritas cc tenon saw, Pair of Veritas carcass saws, Olsen coping saw and a Gramercy kit bow saw.

Planes: Veritas LA jack, Veritas BU smoother, LN scrub, Steve Knight jointer, Steve Night Smoother, Veritas router, Veritas plow, Veritas Skew Rabbet, Veritas LA block, Veritas Skew block LN Model Makers 1-100.

Chisels: I am an absolute chisel hoarder and cannot resist grabbing a $1 chisel at a flea market and re habbing it. So there will be a bunch. But I have the Narex bench and parrers which will go in here. I also have a half dozen Pheil carving chisels.

Marking & Measuring: Tape measure, folding rule, 18" steel rule, 6 & 12 combo square, 4" double square, Marking knife, Marking gauges, dividers, Veritas straight edge

Misc: Mallets, hammer, dead blow, chisel hammer (removable rubber end kind), nail set, level, eggbeater and bits, brace and bits, rasps 3, files several to include saw sharpening files, rasp brush and file card. and a bench brush. Sharpening equipment is in a separate location and not needed to list for this.

I am trying to do this in sketchup to include the spacing for the saw till and plane rack.

Bottom line is what is the glaring omission here. I am typing this at work and alot of my stuff is in boxes till I get this built so it is all not right in front of me to see.

Thanks, John...
    It would help us visualize if you could lay these tools out like you plan to organize them for your storage project and post a picture.

Thanks Jim, yes to spokeshaves, bevel gauge, scrapers and awls. There will be some drawers as well. I knew I forgot a few but I guess I forgot about a half dozen . As far as a picture goes I am really short on space. The reason I asked this question is a lot of stuff is in boxes now and wont come out of them until the cabinet is built. So a pic will be tough until I am done.... John.