Thread: shelf life of shellac flakes

Question shelf life of shellac flakes

I just opened a 1/2 lb bag of super blonde shellac flakes and used a bit of it to make a 1lb cut. I'll get the mixed shellac used pretty quick. It's the remaining flakes I'm thinking about.

What's the shelf life of the flakes now that the bag was opened? I'm keeping them in the bag they came in. It's got a zip lock closure which of course is closed up tight now. I squeezed the air out if that matters. It's always been in the refrigerator. Since the day I brought it home. The partially used bag is back in the refrigerator. Is the clock ticking on the remainder? Or is the shelf life of undissolved flakes indefinite?

Shelf life is pretty long--generally measured in years if kept dry and cool.

Blog Entries
    I take my shellac flakes and divide them into 1 & 2 lb cut packages, vaccuum seal them individually, and put them in a frezer ziplock. I store them in a cool dark place. Heat, cold light and moisture are the deteriorating factors. I think I'll get 5+ Years out of them.
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

Per The Shellac Shack =
    -Store you shellac flakes in a cool, dry place and they will remain fresh for years. Humidity and light are the 2 factors that effect the quality of shellac flakes. If the flakes should clump or cake together, this is called blocking. This can happen in warm weather, but does not indicate there is anything wrong with the flakes. Just break up the blocks and add to alcohol.

http://www.shellacshack.com/customer-information-sheet/

http://www.shellacshack.com/

Just got 2 lbs of the Platina de-waxed the clearest blonde grade & I'll keep it in the refer in a double bagged
    zip lock
    Mike >............................................/ Maybe I'm doing this Babysitting Gig to throw off the Authorities \................................................<

Thanks to all. You guys are the best!

Mine are double-bagged in zip-lock bags. The fridge is upstairs, but the freezer is in the laundry room off the workshop.

One shelf on the door is full of bags of shellac flakes - prolly 6 or seven flavors. Some going back 7+ years. Still good.

SWMBO was physically shown that shelf in HER freezer, explained that I commandeered it, and why.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

I keep mine in the shop fridge. Just in a sealed plastic bag; no double wrap, no vacuum pack.
    Scott

Finishing is an 'Art & a Science'. Actually, it is a process. You must understand the properties and tendencies of the finish you are using. You must know the proper steps and techniques, then you must execute them properly.