Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'll never turn Oak again!!!

I'll never turn Oak again!!!

When I first started turning, I picked up a load of oak and rough turned bowls. when green they where easy to turn, but after a couple years I took one off the shelve to finish yesterday. What a pain. That stuff is like iron. I had to use three pieces of 80 grit just to get one very mild radial scratch out. I was going to give a couple of the dried rough bowls to my nephew to finish (new turner) but I wouldn't with those things on anyone. Done with rant for the day.
    Do or do not, there is no try.

I haven't had that much trouble with oak except for the mess it makes when green (that is why I gave up on it).

If you don't like oak stay away from pecan for sure (aka pecrete to turners).
    "I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." - Edgar Allan Poe

Only way I turn oak, is green to final thickness and let it warp.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

4. Never say never!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Dennis, as the saying goes, "You just haven't found the right piece yet."

It must be just like the ash rough out I just re-turned to final thickness. Man was that stuff hard, and hot when the chips hit my hand. I think I resharpened my Thompson gouge three times while finishing it.

I like the suggestion of turning one time to final thickness and final surface finish, but I am still listing all my oak logs on CL Free.

I turn lots of live oak pieces that I incorporate into my Acorn Cap Series of pieces. Dry it is hard as nails and quite challenging to turn but the grain structure in live oak is beautiful and makes for wonderful accents. I have turned a bit of white oak and it gets pretty tough as well when dry. Pecan which I to call "Pecancrete" is the same way when dry. It will kill the edge of a tool faster than anything.

Could it possibly be harder than black locust? For me, oak never sold well. I would have some on the shelf, people would pick them up and say, 'these are nice, what kind of wood are they?' and I would tell them oak, and they would let out a disappointed 'oh' and put them back on the shelf. I can't say that I have ever done a twice turned bowl.

robo hippy

Quote Originally Posted by Reed Gray View Post
    Could it possibly be harder than black locust? For me, oak never sold well. I would have some on the shelf, people would pick them up and say, 'these are nice, what kind of wood are they?' and I would tell them oak, and they would let out a disappointed 'oh' and put them back on the shelf. I can't say that I have ever done a twice turned bowl.

robo hippy
    See! nobody likes oak☺

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Nagle View Post
    See! nobody likes oak☺
    No -- I do. I prefer it over many other woods, though it is better turned wet or half-dry rather than fully dry. Spalted oak can be quite striking.

For me it is certainly preferable to walnut, let alone cedar, since I am seriously allergic to both of them.

202 (666x800).jpg002 (800x613).jpg013 (644x800).jpgDennis I don't know about plain oak, but the burl is well worth the work IMHO. Some stuff from white oak burl

I think Oak is great!!! In the fire place! I'll take all I can get

I have a whole forest of it in Wi. and that's where it's staying.

That is Beautiful work Steve. I'm not saying it can't look wonderful, it just beats the crap out of me when turning.