Thread: 3d looking trivet

3d looking trivet

My work was caught up so I decided to make some trivets.

I stained some 1/8" maple I bought from George P. Then laser cut a bunch of diamond shapes and glued them up.

IMG_3659.jpg

It has a nice 3D effect that makes people reach out and touch it.

ernie
    Rabbit 1290 80W RECI
    Shopbot PRS Alpha
    Aspire, Corel, Signlab, and many more
    Gerber Edge and 2 vinyl cutters
    plus a shop full of woodworking and metalworking machines

Very cool! Tell us more about how you accomplished the effect?

block details2.jpg

Notice that each set of 3 outlined diamonds forms a hexagon. Just draw a hexagon shape in Corel draw and edit it into the diamond shape you need deleting the rest. Cut a bunch of diamonds all the same size out of 3 different colors of wood. Then place on a backer and glue up the repeated pattern.

ernie
    Rabbit 1290 80W RECI
    Shopbot PRS Alpha

is dividing a hexagon really necessary, why not just cut out diamonds and glue them up saves a lot of work wouldn't it?
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Just calculate the angles and lengths you need so everything fits in an array. By drawing a hexagon and editing some lines I was sure everything would fit perfectly without thinking too hard.
    Rabbit 1290 80W RECI
    Shopbot PRS Alpha

Looks great Ernie. Lots of possibilities using that technique

Quote Originally Posted by Ernie Balch View Post
    Just calculate the angles and lengths you need so everything fits in an array.
    Vertex angles are 60 and 120 degrees. But I'll make it even easier: Falling Block.cdr
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Cool! Thought there was more to it! Should have noticed the different wood types.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Hilton View Post
    Cool! Thought there was more to it! Should have noticed the different wood types.
    That's the easy way, but actually, it works fine with one type of wood if you keep the grain running the same direction in every diamond: the grain reflects differently along/across the grain (and in between), giving three different effects. It's much more obvious with oblique lighting...that second picture was with the light almost straight on. (First picture is three different woods.)
    IMG_10756.jpgIMG_10755.jpg
    Last edited by Lee DeRaud; 04-20-2014 at 12:46 PM.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

I love this project! My cousin did this on his floor with 12" shapes- very weird to walk on, but never fails to get big raves from everybody.
    Epilog Mini 18/25w & 35w, Mac and Vaio, Corel x3, typical art toys, airbrush... I'm a Laserhead, my husband is a Neanderthal - go figure

Red Coin Mah Jong