Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MM16 Bandsaw?

MM16 Bandsaw?

Ok, MM owners...... I possibly have an opportunity to buy one of these machines, and I've been wanting to upgade my delta 14" 3/4 hp w riser...... I was looking a new grizzly but then this thing popped up for sale. It's a 2003 model. I wouldn't mind getting something a little bigger but I think this is a good deal from what I've seen, so I guess I could always uprgrade again. I mill most of my wood so resaw capacity would be a plus. So my question is what's the pros and cons of this thing, and why should I buy this over a grizzly? Jess
    Only one life will soon be past
    Only whats done for Christ will last

I don't own one but I would prefer an Italian steel frame band saw over a Taiwan one. I have some other Italian machines and they are good stuff.

I can't answer your question regarding the choice between the Grizz and the MM16, but I will say there is no comparison between the Delta 14" and the MM16. None. Say goodbye to all of that constant fiddling with guide settings, chasing vibrations, and slooooowly feeding for resaw. I have had a MM16 for years and it may be the last tool to go. Best of luck.
    David

The only con I can think of is the ‘03 & ‘04 models had some problems with the electrical on/off switch. I have a 2004 model and haven’t had any problems with it (knock wood). Mine has a 2.65kw (3.5hp) motor that breezes through anything I feed it. The frame is strong and easily tensions a 1” blade. Some people love them but I wasn’t crazy about the European style guides and switched them out with Carter guides. I also didn’t care for the plastic throat plate and modified mine to take a brass plate.

Carter upgrade on MM16

Fixing a MiniMax 16 Weakness
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Ive used one griz saw, a 24", decent machine, but certainly not a minimax. There is getting it done, and there is a finely crafted italian work horse. Why does the minimax cost more? Its a better saw. I've used older MM16 in past, I'm using a brand new one at present job, thing of beauty really. They just nail all the little details. And the smooth accurate cuts don't suck either. Want to know how good a BS is? Go to a show room...change a blade. Some saws its a breeze, others its a struggle. Minimax is pretty easy IMO. You want to fight at every blade change? If you change infrequently it may matter less to you. Comes down to condition too, if the used MM is beat down and needs tires and love and they want top dollar the value may not be there, if its price fair and well maintained, I'd find it hard to believe you could be disappointed.

What does the MM16 offer that your Delta 14 with riser block does not?

You could buy a lot of nice blades for what even a used MM will cost.
    I own an MM20, and rarely use its full capacity.

I think the strongest attribute of larger saws is the momentum
    generated at the wheels - they can really power a blade.

If you're not going to use the full resaw (or the gains are small),
    you might have money better spent on new guides, a spiffy fence and some blades.

The MiniMax Band Saws are really well made , I love mine ,
    I got a MM20 actually the new S500P (same saw new # ) The new S500P USA model has a few differences like a Euro style Carter guides that I Hate ,(not very easy to use IMO ) basically just a huge rear jam bearing & steel fingers that are Guides ?
    I am in the process of getting the of old style parts so I can add the Laguna Ceramic guides , seems the new S500P & S400P have a lower bearing support rod that is 1/2 the size of the upper support (3/4") that the guides mount on . I contacted MiniMax & my saw is a USA model & the 'other' world models have the old style supports & guides , so I was able to order the parts I need to mount the Laguna Ceramic guides , I also got a plate that allows for more flexibility in adjustment in the upper guide
    I'll do a thread when they get here & if anyone needs the parts # PM me
    I dealt with Paul of MiniMax parts in the SCM distribution center in Atlanta .
    Got my Laguna DriftMaster resaw fence system installed today on the S500P didn't take as long as I thought to get it up & running
    i'm also gonna do a zero clearance plate like Bruce Page did but in AL instead of brass
    the new model has a ledge already there so no milling of the table needed , I just have to copy the plastic stock zero clearance plate in AL plate stock
    here's Bruce's work http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...ax-16-Weakness
    Mike >............................................/ Maybe I'm doing this Babysitting Gig to throw off the Authorities \................................................<

I love mine.

Picked it up used last year and resawing on it is a joy. I had been using a Jet 14" with riser and 1hp motor and while it got the job done, it was a little nerve-wracking.

I kept the Jet, switched it back to a 3/8 blade and use it for curved work.

The MM is a solidly built machine and with the way bandsaw prices have gone up the past few years, I doubt you would lose much money, if any, if you decided to upgrade again later.

Only thing I would give up my MM16 for would be a bigger MM. No vibrations issues, if you buy good blades they run very smoothly. Read the thread on the Laguna. I have trouble seeing how the Carter guides could be better. The guides that came standard are easy to adjust, work fine. Mine is a 04 model. No issue on the switch. Course I don't run it 2 shifts a day, 5 days a week. That is what the salesman told me the use they were built for. And running 16 hours a day their life is 20 years.

10. the new North American MiniMax Band Saws has different guides now on new machines than what you have Jim , I wish mine were what you have
    I'll post some pix later today when I reinstall the stock new guides back in the MM20 while I wait for my ' Old model ' parts to get here from Italy that are needed for the Laguna Ceramic guide up-grade .
    the new guides are a P I A to adjust (at least for me they are )
    The Laguna Ceramic guides are simple , & Very Quick , Easy to adjust , a clean look as well
    Last edited by Michael Mahan; 04-20-2014 at 1:40 PM.
    Mike >............................................/ Maybe I'm doing this Babysitting Gig to throw off the Authorities \................................................<

I upgraded the Delta with the riser and carter guides, which in my opinion take a while to set up right.... but I havn't used any other style.... But it just has a 3/4 horse which will not resaw hardly anything of which I think I would use it a lot more if I had that capacity... I was gonna wait until I burned up the motor and beef it up but I wouldn't mind a bigger throat and frame that can tension a 1"+ blade properly.

I also just saw a Bridgewood BS 540 for sale locally. Anybody got one of those? It's actually cheaper than the MM16.

The flip side is that both these saw run on 220 which I have but between my planer, jointer, dust, collector and air cp I'm already pulling to many amps thru my current electrical setup so I orobably need to do some rewiring....maybe this would be the excuse to get it done...... also would you keep the 14" for smaller blades? My shop is already pretty full so, getting them both in there and leaving room to move yet, might be a trick.

Whatever you end up with keep your 14" if you have the room. I sold mine and quickly regretted it. I bought a 10" Rikon just for small stuff.
    I am also amp challenged but I'm a one man shop and run only one machine at a time.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Jesse,
    If you decide to pass on the mm16 please let us know and try to get one of us in there for the chance to purchase it.....they don't come up often. What is the asking price? Jeff

If that Bridgewood is one of the ACM saws, and under $1000 it's a smoking deal.
    (Call the seller and ask them to read the maker's label on the back, with the serial number.)

Moving it will be the challenge, and if you're paying for it - a consideration in the price.
    I believe these were also imported with a Felder badge, using a different motor.

16" resaw capacity should be plenty.

Well they're both on CL so we'll see what's available tomorrow, but I'm hoping to pick up one or the other, and I'll let you know what turns out.