Thread: How many blanks from a tree?

How many blanks from a tree?

If you have access to a tree to cut for bowl blanks - not on your property- how many would you cut?

This is a maple tree and does seem to have some interesting character.

Since I'm newer at turning bowls and don't have a large stock, I'm thinking quite a few.

I do have Anchorseal, but it will take be a couple weeks to get to all of them if I cut a bunch.

If you don't process them into blanks immediately, cut the rounds 3-4" longer than the largest diameter you are likely to turn. Even with anchorseal, especially the new formula, you will possibly get end checking that needs to be cut off before the log can be processed. Also, if you plan on turning any endgrain, be sure to leave yourself enough extra for faceplate and screws.

How big is the tree? Diameter, height to first branch, etc? Size of limbs - any usable? Be aware that limb wood, or truck wood on a tree that grew on a hillside, will contain reaction wood (curly) that will want to move when stresses are relieved. This will be the lower side of a limb that buckled under the strain of holding up the limb. The upper side should be straight grained as it was in tension rather than compression.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

Thanks Thom - I think I'll cut 6 or 8 blanks and then try to get some rounds in the longest lengths I can lift into my truck for a little later.

I might give a crotch piece a try for the first time - we'll see. :-)

Well, if you get too much, you can always burn it. Well,if you have a fire place you can. I always seem to get more than I need, which is fine as I heat with a wood stove because my house has electric ceiling heat.

robo hippy

Stock up a few more than you might want, and use them for trade down the road with another turner.
    Steve \o/
    Dynamite With A Laser Beam LLC
    Epilog Helix 75W/Epilog Fusion Edge 80W and Jet 1642-EVS2

+1 Thom -also, and you probably know this, if you leave them as full rounds with the pith in for very long, the wood WILL crack. I recommend processing them at least into planks and sealing the end grain. I'd also rough cut some bowls using the 10% diameter/wall thickness rule.

But now to answer your question: How much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood? A woodchuck would chuck as much wood as he could if a woodchuck could chuck wood!

Log sections will last a good while and maybe spalt if you stand them on end, sprinkle generously and throw a tarp over them. If you have access to a pond or barrels wood will last forever under water with no spalting or rot.