Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Looking for good quality locking casters for a new workbench.

Looking for good quality locking casters for a new workbench.

I am planning for a new workbench in my shop to replace my old one.It will be approximately 36" x 80",all drawers facing from both directions (basically 18" deep drawer bases back to back),they will all be full of various tools.I need to make it mobile because it sits in front of an overhead door,and needs to be moved when material shows up.I have not had much luck over the years with locking casters,probably because I have never bought good ones,I usually just bought them from local hardware stores.The locking mechanisms alway's gave me fits after a while.Hopefully I can get some recommendations on some quality casters,I dont mind spending the extra cash on them if it makes my life easier.I am even open to the idea of not using locking casters,but using non locking casters,if there is another way to keep it in place when I dont want it to move,but could easily be made mobile again?Also,what would be an appropriate size,6"? Any input would be appreciated.

I have been looking into good quality casters for a mobile base on a jointer. I have not purchased the parts yet, but I was intrigued by this model. If people have any experience with them I would like to hear about it. If I had to move something every day it might be a bit irritating, but if I only pulled it out once a week it or less frequently might be fine.

http://www.greatlakescaster.com/foot...0F.php?cat=262

There is also a smaller, less expensive model for about $15 each.

Scott

Scott,
    thanks for the tip,I just did a little research on them,and it looks like the "foot master" by Great Lakes with the top plate (not the stem mount),would be a good option.Do you know if they swivel?

I have the Great Lakes style casters on my 1000# bandsaw. They make great feet, stout and stable. They don't, however, roll that easily and are fairly hard to lift. My larger benches get moved with a pallet jack.

Check out Grainger, they have about every caster on planet earth.

I have had the best luck with the Woodcraft ones.

Here is one similar to what I put on my router table.

They are dual locking so the swivel and roll are both locked. I bought mine at HD and paid $9 each for 3" ones. At work we have used a different brand that are a better quality so I know others carry them as well. There are also other sizes available.

Why not try retractable casters, such as per below link? FWIW, they are on my workbench, and I am completely satisfied with them.

http://www.rockler.com/workbench-caster-kit-4-pack

Eric,
    That looks like a really good solution!It looks like they would be easy to replace if one goes bad,it would prevent the hassle of having to empty out the whole bench and laying it on it's back to replce a caster.

Another option: Eliminate the need for locking casters all together.

There is a thread from somewhere back in time that shows how a member did this for moving a machine. I'll try to explain it without photos.

Put straight casters on one end. On the other end, no casters at all - just table legs. Prolly want levelling feet on those. Get a pair of good ones from McMaster Carr, etc.

So - the bench is sitting there on two good casters, and on two legs. Not gonna move. Very stable.

Then, you use a couple small wheels/casters, and build a gizmo that looks like the tongue of your Red Flyer wagon - long handle - that has the 2 casters at the end. Just above the casters/floor level, you have a cross-bar. You slip the gizmo under the lower stretcher between the fixed feet, lever down, and the cross-bar lifts the feet off the floor. Pull it around to where it needs to go.

On occasion, I use basically the same concept for industrial equipment - conveyor belts, smaller machines that are in use sometimes, and in storage other times.
    > The difference is that I don't design in the gizmo.
    > Instead, there is a plate with two swivel casters.
    > The plate is hinged to a cross bar between the legs at the fixed end..
    > There is a small hydraulic jack between that plate and another bar.
    > Raising the jack pushes down on the plate, lowering the casters, and raising that end of the conveyor/machine off the floor. Drag it around to where it needs to go.
    > Same idea as the foot pedal that comes with, say, a TS mobile base. But with a few thousands pounds at play, the jack is used instead of your foot.
    > Also - 8" min dia ball-bearing casters, usually 10". Couldn't move this stuff with 3" diam
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Max,

I put these on my version of Norm's Deluxe Router Station. I put a pair of locking non-swivel at one end and a pair of locking swivel at the other. I can always get to 3 of them to lock them. It's very stable!
    httphttp://www.grizzly.com/products/4-He...-w-Brake/G8168 , ://www.grizzly.com/products/4-Heavy-Duty-Swivel-Caster-w-Brake/G8176
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 04-20-2014 at 2:38 PM.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

12. I went on a caster craze for a few months tried lots of different ones. You can spend a LOT of money on them or a little and by and large you get what you pay for. But the Grizzly casters Ken recommends above its hard to beat that price for an aluminum hub urethane caster with that weight rating and bearings. As for the locking mechanisms DITTO they are a pain. I would look at McMaster for foot operated brakes, its kind of like a leveling pad that raises up and down, I'd just put regular swivel casters on the bench and a couple of these foot operated things to raise up the bench onto solid pads. Thing is when I was looking at them you needed to use fairly big casters and I didn't want to go larger than 3" wheels.

Quote Originally Posted by Kent A Bathurst View Post
    and build a gizmo that looks like the tongue of your Red Flyer wagon - long handle - that has the 2 casters at the end. Just above the casters/floor level, you have a cross-bar. You slip the gizmo under the lower stretcher between the fixed feet, lever down, and the cross-bar lifts the feet off the floor. Pull it around to where it needs to go.
    http://www.rockler.com/lt14-lt16-300...FWxp7Aod5VgAOw

Mobility kits use the same principle.

If you do it often, casters all around will be easier.
    If it's an infrequent thing, this method should be more stable (and easier to install).

we use a lot of casters in the trade show industry and get them from Harbor Freight

I have been using the double locking 3" casters from Woodcraft for a long time and they have worked great. I try to catch them on sale.