Thread: Artcam artwork question, help

Artcam artwork question, help

I have been trying to figure this out for the last 2 days and don't know how to fix it so I need some help and/or advice please.

When I draw something in CorelDraw the lines are perfect but then when I import bitmap into Artcam, the lines are very jagged (stair stepped). Screen captures below:

How do I get them smooth like they are in Corel ?

Thanks for any guidance,

Steve

full horse.JPGClose up.JPGArtcam horse 1.JPGArtcam horse 2.JPG

I don't know anything about Artcam, but I did spot one problem just looking at the screen captures. The file name is "Artcam horse 2.jpg". JPG files are strictly bitmap files. Corel is capable of drawing and saving images as vectors and you need to be importing vectors into Artcam rather than bitmaps. I'm sorry I don't now how to do that. I use Vectric software but I have to believe Artcam will import vectors too.

Try saving your Corel file as an AI ( illustrator) file. Open Artcam and import that file. That should bring your image in as a vector.
    Epilog Mini 24-30 Watt
    Flashburn Studio

I'll have to research re drawing vectors in Corel. I did save it as an AI and I get the saving options as shown below. I don't know if I have the correct choices selected ?

Then when I try to import the .ai file into Artcam I get the error seen below also.

So I keep trying but so far I haven't figured out what the exact procedure. I sure need some advice please.

Thanks for the replies !
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Steve Ducote; 04-20-2014 at 5:45 PM.

OK, I think I finally have it figured out. I have to have the .ai export settings in Corel as 8.0 as shown below. All others above 8.0 won't work for me.

I still get errors when importing into Artcam but I select "Ignore all" and it works just fine. This is great!

Artman, those screen captures were .jpg just for posting here on the forum. I had been trying to import vectors into Artcam and not .jpg's, I already learned that doesn't work.

Thanks for the replies and help,

Steve

I was just reading up on Artcam and there is another possibility you can try. Coreldraw will save vector based EPS files and Artcam will import these EPS files, accordign to their web page. You might try that avenue to see whether it will give you less errors/problems.

Thanks Art Mann, I had tried that with no luck but after you posted, I went back and tried various settings on the EPS export screen in CorelDraw and got it to work fine with no errors and the vectors look very clean.

I have no idea if these are the correct settings but they worked.

I appreciate your help !

Steve

I think your problem when you exported the file in AI you saved it as text not curves also. Which is how you got it to work in the eps export also.
    probitix cnc Corel x3, Vcarve pro6.0, Aspire4.0

Hi Ed, I tried text and then curves. It won't do both at the same time and it doesn't work for me, unless it's set to 8.0.

If you can, try saving or exporting as a DXF of DWG. Those are CAD formats.

John

What level of ArtCAM do you have?

If you have ArtCAM Pro, you can easily create vectors from the bitmap, no matter how jaggedy it is up close.
    CarveWright Model C
    Stratos Lathe
    Jet 1014
    Half-a-Brain

You're right John, that works very good too. It all seems so easy now, make me wonder why I had so much trouble to begin with. Thanks