Thread: Box needed a bottom made

Box needed a bottom made

Well, about got the Full Blind Dovetails about fitted up, so why not build a bottom for this box? had a Pine scrap almost the right size. trimmed it down to what I thought was square ( My luck, it wasn't) and ran the #78 around the edges. Some of the 1/4" by1/4" grooves in the sides needed to be cut a hair deeper, so the old plough was set upIMAG0026.jpg, and decided to run a smoother around on the faces of the pine panelIMAG0023.jpgas for those rebatesIMAG0025.jpgMan, the glare of that smooth pine is worse than off the top of my head. Anyway, thought panel was ready for the test fit.....IMAG0027.jpgA wee bit wide, and a bit out of square, GRRR! Ok, drag out the homemade shooting board! IMAG0028.jpgand the Sargent #414c. Laid one edge against the stop. Shot the end grain, rotate towards that freshly shot side, and repeat until all four edges were done. This also made those rebates a bit off, so a recutting of them was done. Checked everything for square, again. Seems there is a big old knot causing a few problems. The Wards 78 shaved what I could off of it. Time to clamp up a dry fitIMAG0030.jpg I was paid to be home last night, due to a lack of work at work. Since I am used to working at night, might as well stay up and putter around a bit. At this rate, I might, just might have the lid FITTED by........June?

Lets see, galoot points for:
    Plough plane work, instead of a corded router ( no more broken skinny bits)
    Pine cut to length with a Disston crosscut saw, instead of the Craftsman 7-1/4" all metal Cirular saw
    A WWII Stanley made for WARDS #3, to smooth the board,
    A Homemade shooting board
    a Sargent #414c as a shooting plane, and to work over that big knot
    Couple of chisels to clean up grooves and such.

Had to use non-powered tools, since the rest of the house was asleep. Other than some loud cussing going on, it was peaceful.....

Oh yeah, a Cordovan Stanley 9-1/2 to trim the edges a bit on the rebates....that were made with the Stanley made for Wards #78.....