Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lighter Weight Steamer Trunk

Question Lighter Weight Steamer Trunk

I am planning to build a steamer trunk for my daughter. She is going to college next year. I have built 2 trunks already and I have a good plan, but the trunks are pretty heavy at 40-45 pounds. The first two I made out of red oak. I would like to build a trunk that doesn't weigh so much.

What options do I have to make a trunk that weighs less? Different type wood? I suppose pine would be an option. A few dings would be acceptable, but would it hold up to moving around? In a college environment, the trunk gets used for storage of stuff and also as a chair or table.

I attached a picture of the trunk. (It's from a Rockler Plan.) Here is a link to it.

Any insights would be appreciated.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Cedar is pretty light. Don't know how it would stand up to abuse but hey it smells good too
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Thanks Bert. Cedar is very light and aromatic. I lined the inside of the other trunks with cedar. My only experience with it is in siding on a house and those pieces split easily, but they were thin. I'm wondering if the maybe a floor finish over a softer wood would help.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Weiers View Post
    I am planning to build a steamer trunk for my daughter. She is going to college next year. I have built 2 trunks already and I have a good plan, but the trunks are pretty heavy at 40-45 pounds. The first two I made out of red oak. I would like to build a trunk that doesn't weigh so much.

What options do I have to make a trunk that weighs less? Different type wood? I suppose pine would be an option. A few dings would be acceptable, but would it hold up to moving around? In a college environment, the trunk gets used for storage of stuff and also as a chair or table.

I attached a picture of the trunk. (It's from a Rockler Plan.) Here is a link to it.

Any insights would be appreciated.
    Sitka Spruce plywood. Very strong, very light. Put a 1/2oz layer of S-glass over it and it should last a lifetime.

Sitka spruce nose cones were at one time used on a retired class of ICBM's. They were nose cone section, the very tip of a missile. It's pretty strong stuff.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

I have no suggestions regarding wood, but I would (no pun intended) make it with a flat top so she can use it as a table. You never have too much horizontal space!

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen Benkin View Post
    I have no suggestions regarding wood, but I would (no pun intended) make it with a flat top so she can use it as a table. You never have too much horizontal space!

I think trunks like that were made with round tops specifically so things don't get stacked on top of them.
    Universal M-300 (35 Watt CO2)
    Universal X-660 (50 Watt CO2)

Hans (35 watt YAG)
    Electrox Cobra (40 watt YAG)

Glass With Class, Cameron, Wisconsin

I have made a number of small trunks (24" x16" x 16"). I made them of 1/2" thick eastern red cedar. Poly or lacquer finish. Quite light but not what I would call rugged.
    No PHD, but I have a DD 214

The picture I posted doesn't show the top very well, but it is only a very slight curve, so you can use it like it's flat.

Alder/Knotty Alder is very light. It's a bit more durable (but not by much) than pine and cedar. It's cheap too. It's a beautiful cinnamon color if clear coated and takes darker stains very well.
    -Lud

I had never heard of sitka spruce. Interesting how it was used on the missiles. I never would have guessed that wood would be part of a missile!

One of the conclusions, I have some to is that I need to go to a more traditional lumber yard to get wood for this project. The big-box stores only have a limited number of choices.

I think something obvious ...is being missed. Before moulded plastic almost all trunks and suit cases were made of thin wood. The strength came from the canvas or leather covering. Any thing depending on thicker wood for strength is definitely going to need the flat top , because it will be too heavy to serve as anything but a table.

Would't any type of plywood do as sides, lid, etc... since there is an outer framework that sohehow will hide joints, it should be acceptable....

As for the spruce nose tips,..... I'd like to see a link to prove that..... :-)
    I've been working around and with scientific sounding rockets for close to 40 years now, and have among others things personally made temperarature measurements on nose tips, side bar antennas, etc- etc. Most of the outer skin casings are made from aluminium these days, but the nose tips are steel.
    5-600 deg's C is not uncommon at that point.....

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Halgeir Wold View Post
    Would't any type of plywood do as sides, lid, etc... since there is an outer framework that sohehow will hide joints, it should be acceptable....

As for the spruce nose tips,..... I'd like to see a link to prove that..... :-)
    I've been working around and with scientific sounding rockets for close to 40 years now, and have among others things personally made temperarature measurements on nose tips, side bar antennas, etc- etc. Most of the outer skin casings are made from aluminium these days, but the nose tips are steel.
    5-600 deg's C is not uncommon at that point.....
    It was news to me but 90 seconds and google (see page 17-12 top right):

http://www.au.af.mil/au/awc/space/pr...le_systems.pdf

Sometimes people underestimate the quality of materials produced by Mother Nature.

Hm.. intersting read.... and you're right - material properties can be a really interesting topic...
    BTW - the old Nike Hercules missile had filler blocks of balsa in the 4-section 1st stage booster... :-)
    I have a box of those spacers around, if the need for balsa should occur.....
    Last edited by Halgeir Wold; 04-27-2014 at 2:44 PM.