Thread: Punky hickory

Punky hickory

This is an example of the hickory I obtained -- not common here in Arizona. It is also the origin of the questions I posted early about using clear epoxy as a hardening agent. As you can see, I'm getting some pretty severe tear-out but the wood is quite beautiful. I think I'll try the white glue and water method on this one and see how it does. Seems the least expensive option. I rough turned this bowl today. It's around 7-8" across.
    IMG_0118.jpgIMG_0119.jpgIMG_0120.jpgIMG_0121.jpgIMG_0122.jpg

If using the white glue method, should I dry it first or after the glue hardens?

No comments? After treating with 50/50 white glue and water, should I permit it to dry in the open air or is it better to bag it?

Thanks!
    Rob

The 50/50 glue won't dry if in a plastic bag. The glue is a sealer itself, but you could set it inside a paper bag. I wouldn't push the bag against the bowl, but leave some space. You want the glue to be absorbed into the wood, not pulled back into the paper.
    Member Illiana Woodturners

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Bergstrom View Post
    The 50/50 glue won't dry if in a plastic bag. The glue is a sealer itself, but you could set it inside a paper bag. I wouldn't push the bag against the bowl, but leave some space. You want the glue to be absorbed into the wood, not pulled back into the paper.
    I sort of took the middle road with that -- it's presently in a plastic bag but wide open to allow air to circulate. I didn't want it to mold.

Since it went in green and rough-turned, I'm thinking the proper course of action after the glue dries is to return the piece to a paper bag for a couple of months and let it dry completely before finish turning. Any thoughts on this?

the glue method should work....or I use Zizzner's spray shellac while still in the chuck, give it a few minutes to dry, hard as a rock.

UPDATE: I soaked the piece for 24 hours and removed it from the solution. The cracks had closed up a little due to swelling, but not completely, and they opened back up as the glue dried. The fibers did stiffen up but I don't think there was very good penetration, as I can see white wood inside the crack. It looks like I probably got about 1/8" of penetration -- not enough to really do a good finish turning, although it may have gone deeper in the punky areas. I think I'll just bag it until it's dry, turn it back past the absorption and treat it with thinned epoxy before finishing it out.

The best use of punky hickory is to smoke a brisket or something!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Hunt View Post
    The best use of punky hickory is to smoke a brisket or something!!!
    Hmm. That doesn't sound half bad...

Tell us about the failed epoxy.. Did you soak it in a bag overnite--did you thin it down to easy dripping off the stir stick. Let us all learn here.

Quote Originally Posted by robert baccus View Post
    Tell us about the failed epoxy.. Did you soak it in a bag overnite--did you thin it down to easy dripping off the stir stick. Let us all learn here.
    No, I haven't tried epoxy yet. I soaked it for 24 hours in a 50/50 mix of white glue and water. It's stiffened the fibers but I don't think the penetration was all that great -- maybe 1/8". I'm going to dry it and turn it and see what I get. I wouldn't say it was a failure. If the object was to stiffen the fibers, it was a success. It just didn't really do anything as far as filling voids as the solution was too thin.
    Last edited by Rob Miller; 04-25-2014 at 1:29 AM.

If you really want to save it and have access to vacuum equipment (possibly via a friend), you might want to try using a vacuum chamber to encourage the glue/water mix to penetrate a little deeper. You might also need to thin the mix more for better penetration using a vacuum.

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Strauss View Post
    If you really want to save it and have access to vacuum equipment (possibly via a friend), you might want to try using a vacuum chamber to encourage the glue/water mix to penetrate a little deeper. You might also need to thin the mix more for better penetration using a vacuum.
    I've tossed it back into the glue. Will update after I've removed it, dried it and turned it some more. The saga goes on.