Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: What is the next tool you will upgrade or buy?

Well if the shop and house project ever gets going, then I plan on buying a new 8" jointer. If the we come to an impass, then I will stay where I am at so the jointer will be too big for my shop and will buy some more Festool stuff, likely the DS400.
    Scott C. in KC
    Befco Designs

A 48 hour day & a 14 day week & the health & energy to enjoy it.

Heck I don't have the time to use the tools I have now.
    I usually find it much easier to be wrong once in while than to try to be perfect.

My web page has a pop up. It is a free site, just close the pop up on the right side of the screen

Either a router table or a "real" woodworking bench. In both cases, I have Veritas in mind.

But not this year. My 2005 (and maybe even 2006) tool budget has been blown.

My next significant tool purchase would likely be a sander of some sort, probably one of the open-end wide belts.

Once I have shop space again, I'm going to buy a 16" bandsaw. I also plan on building a new workbench and upgrading my router table with new top and fence.

Kid's and Money Pits

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker
    Do kids count for that???
    (ie. Money Pits)

Jim,
    They're not so much a pit... pits usually have bottoms and ways to get out. But I've found that instead of wanting to climb out, you'd rather just walow at the bottom. If you can't seem to get down that far, I'll send my 4 year old to tackle you... he's at that "perfect height".
    Jay Kilpatrick in Saginaw, Tx

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Kilpatrick
    They're not so much a pit... pits usually have bottoms and ways to get out. But I've found that instead of wanting to climb out, you'd rather just walow at the bottom. If you can't seem to get down that far, I'll send my 4 year old to tackle you... he's at that "perfect height".
    LOL! The younger girl, while almost 6, is probably about the same size as your four year old, so I think we have that job covered!!

But you know...I'd be able to live with not buying new tools for a long time if it were required to accomplish this family building project. Fortunately...it's not necessary to worry about that, thanks to Dr. SWMBO's grandmother, who sadly passed away in April at the age of nearly 98. She still lived independently in her own appartment in Knoxville until only a few weeks before she died and that sets a good example for all of us. And her legacy is a blessing that will live in these children well beyond our own lives.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

My next major tool purchase will be some sort of drum sander - maybe a 22-44 or General or Woodmaster.

Well guys I have come to the decision that the next tool purchase will be delayed. I have better uses for the money along the same lines as my SUPER SECRET projects.

Thanks for all of the responses, they were interesting to see peoples priorities.
    Jeff Sudmeier

"It's not the quality of the tool being used, it's the skills of the craftsman using the tool that really matter. Unfortunately, I don't have high quality in either"

Incra 3000 miter guage, Delta Drum sander, and continnue to add to my Lie-Nielson plane collection! More room would be nice.
    Michael and Sally Pfau
    Grant Creek Woodworks
    Missoula Montana
    www.grantcreekwoodworks.com

maybe an oliver 88 ...

or a tilting spindle shaper

it has to weigh at least 2000 lbs for me to get excited anymore
    lou

next tool

I'm going to take a real hard look at a Sliding Compound Miter Saw. I really don't "NEED" one but when has need ever come into play when a nice shiney tool catches your attention. Just looking at one engenders multiple ways you can use it. I've used my step son's saw and really like the way it squares up the end of a piece. Besides, at my age I'm tooling up for the afterlife

Hand tools I will probubly get a good set of chisels.
    Power tools definitly a band saw.