Thread: List of trees in our new (maybe) state

List of trees in our new (maybe) state

We are flying out to New Mexico this Friday to see if we want to move there this summer. One think I was wondering about is what type of trees are available for turning wood. Here is a list and I have no experience with any of them. What are the good ones???

Arizona Ash

Arizona Cypress

Bur Oak

Chinese Pistache

Colorado Blue Spruce

Desert Willow

Douglas Fir or Oregon Pine

Fremont Cottonwood

Gambel Oak

Net leaf Hackberry

New Mexico Olive

Piņon Pine

Ponderosa Pine

Quaking Aspen

Redoiser Dogwood

Rio Grande Cottonwood
    Do or do not, there is no try.

Your list is pretty incomplete and some you have listed you likely will not find in large enough size to turn. NM does not have the good turning woods (maple, cherry, walnut, etc) in good supply. Depending on where you choose to live in NM the list will be further shortened, ie aspen will be hard to come by in Las Cruces. (I lived and worked in NM for over 20 years)

I think once you get there you will be able to find things to turn. I live in Phoenix, and at first glance, there is not much to turn, certainly not the so called "good" woods according to Al. However, I have turned some really beautiful things from Mesquite, Sissoo (a true rosewood) several Acacia species, Cal. Pepper, and the list goes on.

I just pulled the list off the net as a starting point. We are looking at Santa Fe. I did find an AAW chapter in Santa Fe after I posted this list. I'll hook up with them while we are out there.

That list looks like it might be native trees, I am sure there are lots of non-native trees planted in the residential areas. Lawn grown trees are often great for turning. I would be surprised if Bradford Pear is not commonly available.

Check out the firewood dealer just south of the square. He will have the local species and imports like Dennis says. Also has some burls hidden away for nice guys. Also there is a sawmill just NW of Taos the always has something interesting. There are several more sawmills in the area--just ask around.

Thanks for the info Robert. I'll check it out when I get out there. We are going to look at taking over and changing and existing business so a lot of our time will be spent doing that, but I'll have time to play as well.

You will probably love SF. They have maintained their culture(pueblo) extremely well for it's size. It has been californicated some since the fifties but not bad. Taos is more original. Both are art towns--especially authentic pueblo bowls and any kind of art known. Been there 44 times.

We have three daughters and two of them live and work there with no plans of moving back to Michigan. The third daughter just told us she is moving there so that was it for us. I plan of focusing strictly on my large sculptures when we get out there....including turning big wood.

Why 44 times? That sounds so precise.