Thread: Poor Mans Sharpener

Poor Mans Sharpener

Came home from work today with a plan "Mount a 5" velcro sanding arbor to the outboard attachment". Well I managed to find some poplar to use, found an extra arbor I got for my DA and proceeded; drew a 5" circle in the poplar, drilled a hole through so I could tap it for a 5/16" screw, trimmed off some of the rough edges on the miter saw, 4 screws to hold the poplar to the outboard face plate, turned it down to a circle, gave the center a little recessed area for the backing plate, then mounted the arbor to the poplar. Threw on a piece of 500 grit sandpaper, polished my edges on the tools. Works pretty darn good!!!!!! Never too far from my sharpening station either.

Very cool and thought. I sharpened on a 6" disc for years and changed only because of the new popular gouge grinds.

3. I was using a 5" Pressure Sensitive sanding pad stuck to a poplar disc which I drilled and tapped to fit the 1" x 8tpi spindle on my lathe. I used that for sharpening for about a year until I found the right deal on a grinder and jigs for sharpening. I was then able to make a small fence that rests on the lathe bed. I don't use it for sharpening any more, but it is my only disc sander, so it comes in handy often. I am thinking about facing it with something a bit harder than the poplar to prevent grooves from wearing into the face.