Thread: Starting 2 Redwood Burl Tables- First Project

Starting 2 Redwood Burl Tables- First Project

Hello Everyone ,

This is my first post on the forum. I stumbled upon it yesterday doing some research for 2 redwood burl tables I'm building. Both pieces are roughly 4' x 5'. I think they both have great character and of course,

would like to preserve as much of it as possible. I'm looking to sand/finish both and apply some type of natural wood base to them. I've already come across many schools of thought on how to approach the

aforementioned aspects of similar projects. I was hoping to get some specific input and suggestions from the community as it pertains to my project.

A bit background on myself; this will be my first real woodworking project(s). I'm very much an amateur but very passionate and somewhat artistic. Basically, I need as much help as possible with the technical side

of things. I'm really hoping this project helps my relaunch the artistic/creative side of my personality. Thanks in advance for all your input and I'll surely and gladly answer any questions asap. I will post pics of both

pieces asap as well.

My experience with curly/burly redwood is that it looks wonderful when you first put a solvent-based finish on it, but that it ages to a blah dull brown in a couple of years. I'd be inclined to use a waterborne on it. It'll probably not look as great when it is new, but maybe it will age better.

James, is this wood kiln dried ? How thick is it ?