Thread: Spraying CA

Colby, Washington. Just across the Puget Sound from Seattle, near Blake Island.

Spraying CA

I use CA for two types of projects: for small items that need a shiny, durable surface (eg, pens and bottle stoppers) and ad a stablizer for punky wood. Occasionally, I will have a larger item that requires a great quantity of CA application. Like today: a customer brought me a large piece of buckeye, which is a light and fiberous wood t almost like balsa.

Normally, I'd apply it with a Q-tip, which almost always leads to brush lines that need sanding out. Today, it so happened that there was an old Windex sprayer on the workbench and I thought, "Why not?"

It worked! Sprayer is toast, but the CA went on evenly with no brush marks or runs. Thought others might like to give it a try.

Russell Neyman

Writer - Woodworker - Historian
    Instructor: The Woodturning Experience
    Puget Sound, Washington State

"Outside of a dog, there's nothing better than a good book; inside of a dog it's too dark to read."

I've thought about trying it with an airbrush, but one use per airbrush would get expensive. I'm glad it worked. I'll have to see if I can get a sprayer, and try it. One possible problem though. In the past, when I have used CA on Buckeye burl, after a few weeks, the wood turns to a yellow green color. I have a similar problem using it on box elder burl. It turns the wood bright lemon yellow.
    Brian

Sawdust Formation Engineer
    in charge of Blade Dulling

Colby, Washington. Just across the Puget Sound from Seattle, near Blake Island.
    Actually, Brian, that yellow/green color is the reason I coat buckeye with CA. I find that "look" unusual and appealing.

Russell Neyman

Writer - Woodworker - Historian
    Instructor: The Woodturning Experience
    Puget Sound, Washington State

"Outside of a dog, there's nothing better than a good book; inside of a dog it's too dark to read."