Thread: How can an engraved photo be preserved on a bathroom tile

How can an engraved photo be preserved on a bathroom tile

I have quite good results engraving on black bathroom tiles. The engraving survives light cleaning with the hand to remove most of the dust but the problem is after I wash them when all the dust goes away and the image fades. Is there any resin that could keep the dust particles in their place?

On wood router art, I have used automotive clear coat as a top coat to help preserve the colors. It might be worth a try on a scrap piece.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Thank you, I will try that.

Hi Andrei. I'm new here, but have found this forum to be a wealth of information, so I thought I'd share what I do.

Another option might be more durable than relying on the dust to stay in place as a colorant. This method works well for me on granite tiles. I haven't had any reason to try porcelean yet, but I imagine the results might be similar.

I clean them very well and let them dry, then fill them with paint. I use an outdoor-rated acrylic white paint. (Laserbits offers a stone fill that may be a better option, but it is more expensive, I'm too impatient to wait for mail order, and I drive by Michaels or Hobby Lobby almost every day. It's in the same type of bottles that you find the $.59 paint for, but it's usually around $1.99. Be sure to get the outdoor-rated kind. Or buy the stone fill.)

Anyway, I use worn old cotton t-shirts that I've cut into strips and use one to work a drop or two of the paint into a 4" x 4" area, then use another clean rag to buff the top surface clean before the paint dries. This fills the tiny nooks & crannies created by the laser while leaving the surface its original color.

Following that, I seal the tile with a professional grade stone sealer, but I suspect that a grout sealer would probably work too.

The color has held up beautifully for several years with no yellowing, but I have not subjected this to a harsh bathroom environment where scrubbing would be a necessity.

Best of luck!
    Tammy

Might be something to try that would be more durable in the long term ac76583de7cc65981f53f3f1df47eed0.jpg

That looks very nice, I wondered how do you guys get that clean white on black granite. First thing in the morning I will try your method on some granite I engraved today. Thanks.

Rub and buff will also work and then seal. I spray 3 coats of clear exterior enamel on ceramic tiles works great.
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Quote Originally Posted by Tammy Arnott View Post
    Hi Andrei. I'm new here, but have found this forum to be a wealth of information, so I thought I'd share what I do.

Another option might be more durable than relying on the dust to stay in place as a colorant. This method works well for me on granite tiles. I haven't had any reason to try porcelean yet, but I imagine the results might be similar.

I clean them very well and let them dry, then fill them with paint. I use an outdoor-rated acrylic white paint. (Laserbits offers a stone fill that may be a better option, but it is more expensive, I'm too impatient to wait for mail order, and I drive by Michaels or Hobby Lobby almost every day. It's in the same type of bottles that you find the $.59 paint for, but it's usually around $1.99. Be sure to get the outdoor-rated kind. Or buy the stone fill.)

Anyway, I use worn old cotton t-shirts that I've cut into strips and use one to work a drop or two of the paint into a 4" x 4" area, then use another clean rag to buff the top surface clean before the paint dries. This fills the tiny nooks & crannies created by the laser while leaving the surface its original color.

Following that, I seal the tile with a professional grade stone sealer, but I suspect that a grout sealer would probably work too.

The color has held up beautifully for several years with no yellowing, but I have not subjected this to a harsh bathroom environment where scrubbing would be a necessity.

Best of luck!
    Tammy

Might be something to try that would be more durable in the long term ac76583de7cc65981f53f3f1df47eed0.jpg
    Beautiful. How much power are you using?
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Didn't have time to do a photo but I tried the paint thing on two chameleons engraved on granite scraps.
    ch.jpg

This reply mode is confusing.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrei Georgescu View Post
    This reply mode is confusing.
    Near the upper right of the screen there's a dropdown labeled "Display"... select "Linear" and I think you'll be much happier.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

That's more like it.

Sorry... I didn't realize that I wouldn't get a notification when someone replied to the thread. I use a 30W and this was engraved at 26% power, 70% speed, with an image density of 5. (Scale on this brand runs from 1-6).

Look into using artist's fixative spray.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7