Thread: IWF for Researching and Buying machines

IWF for Researching and Buying machines

Hello fellow WWers,
    Background:
    I am in the process of outfitting a small woodworking shop. Hobby only. I own a 12” jointer, 13” planer and have other stuff borrowed. My primary focus for the next year or two will be furniture and shop fixtures. I really need a Bandsaw, router table, Table Saw etc. I can probably get by until Aug with the borrowed stuff, except for the Bandsaw.
    My Question:
    Is the IWF show a place where I get good deals on new or demo equipment?
    or is it more like a gunshow where it is just an aggregation of stuff at full retail?

basically is it worth waiting for that before i make any purchases?

thanks!!!
    B,

IWF is really tailored more to the large commercial guy. Still some hobby stuff, Laguna, Oliver, Felder, amd SCM. Not sure about Minimax this year. So much of the Asian stuff is made at the same factory that if you see one you see most of the others. It is fun to see some machines hands on and you will find enough to spend at least a day or more looking at things you didn't know existed. Accessories are something you will see lots of and that is informative. Worth the trip if not for the machines but for the total knowledge you can gain. Dave

I haven't been to the IWF but the smaller regional shows used to sell their equipment for a decent discount after. I remember there always being a fair amount of box trucks and trailers in the parking lot of the shows, so guys did go with the intent of buying. However the bigger the show the more people who may be after the same machine as you….so maybe not quite as good a bargain? I can't say, but I'd make sure I knew the best prices I could get on every item I was looking for before going.

Of course if I were wanting to outfit a shop I'd be more inclined to find some good deals on used equipment so I could do so faster for less money…..but that's just me

good luck,
    Jeffd

Hi, Jeff, thanks for the response.
    I have been looking for over a year on CL etc. I haven't seen anything I would be interested in. I am not really looking for the older industrial stuff that so many people love. I would prefer new, bells and whistles, warranty with less durability than the industrial behemoth that will last longer than me. I will only be using the tools a few hour a week and not 3 shifts/day etc. I haven't seen anything at all under 10 years old and most things more than 20. maybe in the the Southeast there is not as much of a used tool market..

thanks
    B

I went 6 years ago because I wanted to see some machines that weren't available locally.
    I got a show discount on an Oneida cyclone, but that was about all.
    But a lot changes in 6 years; hopefully someone more current will reply.

Something else to keep in mind if you're in the market for a new bandsaw or other large piece of equipment, depending, however, on your location, is that Grizzly is soon to be having their annual tent sale event. I've also seen recent "sale" postings for the Laguna 1412 and Rikon 10-325 bandsaws.

Pickup of large tools at IWF is usually late Sunday night if you decide to try keep that in mind. I would pre purchase the show machine long before the show. Contact the vendors to see what they are bringing. Not sure what the deal will really cost you hassle wise. Is 10% off really worth it? There are no unbelievable deals on those machines typically. I would even check if the saw mfg you want will even be there. PM and grizzly may not even be selling the machines they present. You might get Felder to sell you one. They typically advertise the machines long ahead of time though but the sales may not be worth the hassle .

BTW - this is no gun show. They have vendor booths in building C the size of entire gun shows. What you would see in a factory machine. I have heard those large vendors have been sparse the last two shows.

Consider you will haul a trailer and have to find a way to park it in Atlanta too.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

I've gotten some good deals at the IWF shows. I know what I want when I go there and have cash. Close to the end of the show I ask who's truck they want to load that machine in and make an offer.

I saved almost $3,000 dollars on my planer that way.

Larry

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Edgerton View Post

I saved almost $3,000 dollars on my planer that way.

Larry
    Most here don't spend anywhere close to $3000 on a planer, much less save that amount. Jet / Powermatic, Steel City, Delta, and Oliver were the "big guns" at the past couple of IWF shows. I don't remember seeing anything from Grizzly at the last two shows. But now if you are looking something in the $300,000 range, then IWF is the place to be.

[QUOTE=Bruce Wrenn;2258072]Most here don't spend anywhere close to $3000 on a planer, much less save that amount. Jet / Powermatic, Steel City, Delta, and Oliver were the "big guns" at the past couple of IWF shows. I don't remember seeing anything from Grizzly at the last two shows. But now if you are looking something in the $300,000 range, then IWF is the place to be. A real problem with a show the size of IWF is you are told when and where your vehicle will be loaded. Loaders are union workers, which you will have to pay for their servces also.

Many people, including vendors who frequent the show, advised me against going to the IWF to make purchases. What seems like large purchases to the hobby woodworking crowd doesn't even amount to a drop in the bucket at that show. The representatives are looking for buyers who purchase hundreds of thousands. The vendors indicated a hobby woodworker should invent a business name for the name tag or risk being totally ignored at that show.

Here is the link to a thread discussing the 2014 show:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...13038-Iwf-2014

Mike: I realize it is not a gunshow, I was merely making the comparison for pricing only. as there are pretty much no deals at gunshows and the only benefit is getting to see everything in one place, but at the small WW show in Gwinnet CO. this year there seemed to be some deals on stuff.

Thanks to Mike, Rich and others for comments.

one definite take away seems to be to contact vendors before to line up things and also IWF is definitely worth going to for information.

-b

The word in the industry is that this show will be bigger than we have seen for many years.

Show home page: http://www.iwfatlanta.com/

Exhibitor list: http://s15.a2zinc.net/clients/iwf/iw...=E&thumbnail=1

I guess there are about four different kinds of exhibitors. 1. Those that are there to meet other exhibitors. Example: Peerless Saw co. doesn't really make saws. They sell saw plate to people who do make saws. 2. People with huge machines who are looking for huge companies. 3. Companies looking for customers and distributors. 4. People who aren't sure why they are there. Example: The 12 German guys in matching shirts selling clamps maybe. You couldn't buy any there and they weren't sure if they wanted distributors. The nice guys that couldn't take credit cards. The lady with the famous clamp company who told us how important she was. And so on.

A lot of these folks are tired and stressed but I would say about 95% to 98% are really nice people.

Some really great people and some bozos. Two years ago I took my Ecommerce Manager to the show. She is a young, petite female who is really serious about her job and what we sell. Some salespeople hit on her and some ignored her. Most asked a few intelligent questions then called the boss over to make a deal.

My point is that you can run into an aXXhole salesperson no matter how much you are prepared to spend. It still bothers me a little but mostly I just walk away with my money in my pocket and buy something else.

Tom
    I'm a Creeker, yes I m.
    I fries my bacon in a wooden pan.