Thread: CNC Controller

CNC Controller

I was curious what Controller you all use and recommend? I would like to make sure I can have 5 axis. I have seen Flashcut, C and CNC, Gecko. I believe Flashcut uses there own software where the otheres run on Mach 3.

Thanks!
    Ed

I use Geckos, I have nothing but good to say about Gecko
    Chuck

What size steppers or servos will you use? They need to pair with your controller.

I use gecko G540s on my router (two of them) and Mach. It uses parallel ports to interface between the drivers. Costs about $750-$800 with a full mach license. Designed for <3.5amp. I have 5 nema23 425oz steppers and a nema17 stepper on this machine. Someday maybe I will run an ethernet smoothstepper on it fbut for now I use parallel ports on my PC.

I also have a Centroid Servo setup on my big mill with an added 4th axis. It uses the Centroid software but can also use mach. It is very expensive setup though. AllinOneDC DIY setup Controller and full Centroid software (no servos or anything to power it) will run you $3400. I run three nema42 SEM 29 in/lb servos and a Centroid/SEM 34in/lb 4th axis. It communicates via etehrnet to the PC.

There is also WinCNC out there. I have never used it but the Camaster boys like it.

Flashcut is very well respected.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Mach3 can support 6 axis. It will need 2 parallel ports in the PC to do so without other hardware. Mach is popular and fair priced.

John

I use a Xylotex three-axis. He has a four axis now. My router is tiny, and the Xylotex serves my purposes. I purchased it years ago (maybe eight?) and it was pretty inexpensive compared to the alternatives, at the time.

Ed...
    As a technology based industry, CNC controllers and components are sold, bought and reviewed virtually everywhere on our planet. There is no "magic" in todays market. The vast majority of products are priced very close to what they deliver. So from low end to high, there is a product to fit your machine, or budget. Very few, if any, bad ones. Just remember, you will most certainly get what you pay for. If you choose to pay less, you most certainly receive less. Its that simple.

One thing to consider is selecting one that someone that may help you owns. Or join a forum and seek help from the experienced members. There are dozens out there, each catering to the specifics of a particular machine, operating system or brand. Hobbyist or professional, sign shop or cabinetmaker, they are all out there for the asking.
    Gary Campbell
    CNC Replacement & Upgrade Controllers
    Custom 9012 Centroid ATC

There are controllers and there are drivers that interface and power the steppers or servos. I could never see trying to find a laptop or computer with parallel ports when USB is the thing. Now Mach III controllers can be had with Cat 5 or wireless (really) inputs. The output of any controller is what feeds the driver boards or interface, which in turn runs the stepper or servo motors.

I have built CNC setups and used DeskCNC on two different machines and loved it. Its kind of like FlashCNC in that it can work off either serial or USB ports. Lots of people are using Mach III, if I did it would be networked with a Cat 5 cable directly to the controller from the PC.

I think Mach III has increased the prices, a lot if you are using commercially.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10