Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Manta Ray lidded bowl

Manta Ray lidded bowl

I've still been busy with projects around the house, but I did find some time to get this piece turned. Our club demonstration last month was on turning a manta ray bowl, so I decided to give it a try.
    Hooked corners flying by at 1200 rpms keeps your attention focused and I managed to keep all my fingers intact. Then the opposing wings were carved off and then blended in with the bowl and remaining wings. I decided to go with 2 up and 2 down, but it could also be done with 3 and 1 in either direction, just a personal choice.
    Once sanding was complete, I used my burner to texture the "up" wings, then dyed the wings and lid black. I was going to turn a mini manta ray for the knob but the blank I used was a little too thin and I was running short of time, so I just went for a similar form with 4 upturned wings.
    It's about 8" x 8" and 5-6" tall, the form, lid and knob are all mesquite and it's finished with antique oil.
    I've got a few more pieces in varying stages of completion, and hopefully I'll have time to get them finished and get back to posting on a more regular basis.
    PICT0003.JPGPICT0002.JPGPICT0004.JPGPICT0005.JPGPICT0007.JPGPICT0006.JPG
    Thanks for looking!
    Comments and critiques are welcome.
    "If it is wood, I will turn it."
    vor-tex: any activity, situation, or way of life regarded as irresistibly engulfing.

Beautiful, Kathy!

Now I like that Kathy!!! I'd be constantly looking at my fingers to see that they were all still there too!!!

Mike

wow! great vessel
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

super.......like it a lot

6. That is a beaut, K!!! I like your color combination and the knob/finial............just a wonderfully designed and executed piece of work! I have been thinking about doing a manta ray bowl myself......even posted a thread on the sequences..........I just need to get Terry Scott's DVD or watch someone who knows how do it demo it.

Or perhaps, a tutorial, posted from that famous Arizona woodturner ...........uh, what was her name? Oh yeah, I think it is Kathy Marshall!

That would be worth coming back and seeing..........you could charge admission..........50 cents per view!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Chandler View Post

Or perhaps, a tutorial, posted from that famous Arizona woodturner ...........uh, what was her name? Oh yeah, I think it is Kathy Marshall!
    I second what Roger suggested.

Very well done. Attractive addition to the original.
    Thanks for sharing

Very nice Kathy! I am glad you've found time to turn. Are you going to the AAW Symposium?
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------

That's so amazing I can't even wrap my noggin' around how it would be done. If the wings were all going one direction I could see it, but different?

Can anyone point me to an online video?

Beautiful work!

That is really cool Kathy! Haven't been on here much for a couple of years, but I see your skill, and the fine quality of your pieces, is growing by leaps and bounds! Just fantastic, I may have to attempt that one someday...

Very, very nice Kathy. I'm really impressed. I've got Terry's DVD and have been thinking about giving it a try. I agree with Roger, if you wanted to do a tutorial I'm sure we would all be very supportive

Thanks for the comments everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Chandler View Post
    That is a beaut, K!!! I like your color combination and the knob/finial............just a wonderfully designed and executed piece of work! I have been thinking about doing a manta ray bowl myself......even posted a thread on the sequences..........I just need to get Terry Scott's DVD or watch someone who knows how do it demo it.

That would be worth coming back and seeing..........you could charge admission..........50 cents per view!
    Thanks Roger!
    I might be able to write up a little tutorial, but it probably won't be until after the AAW Symposium. I need to get busy and get some bowls turned to donate to the Empty Bowls project, a Beads of Courage box and a few pieces for the Instant Gallery. Hopefully by the time that's over I'll still remember how to turn a manta ray bowl!

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Hackler View Post
    Very nice Kathy! I am glad you've found time to turn. Are you going to the AAW Symposium?
    Thanks Scott! Yes, I'll be going, with it being in my back yard this year I wouldn't miss it for the world! Hope to see plenty of Creekers there!
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry Richardson View Post
    That is really cool Kathy! Haven't been on here much for a couple of years, but I see your skill, and the fine quality of your pieces, is growing by leaps and bounds! Just fantastic, I may have to attempt that one someday...
    Thanks Barry! Good to see you back again. I finally managed to turn that big Ironwood blank I got from you a couple years ago! It made a very nice (and heavy) bowl!
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Doerr View Post
    Very, very nice Kathy. I'm really impressed. I've got Terry's DVD and have been thinking about giving it a try. I agree with Roger, if you wanted to do a tutorial I'm sure we would all be very supportive
    Thanks Steve! As posted above, I'll see what I can do about a tutorial this summer.
    Quote Originally Posted by John Conklin View Post
    That's so amazing I can't even wrap my noggin' around how it would be done. If the wings were all going one direction I could see it, but different?

Can anyone point me to an online video?

Beautiful work!
    Thanks John! I don't know of any online videos, but a search for "manta ray bowl" might turn up something.
    "If it is wood, I will turn it."
    vor-tex: any activity, situation, or way of life regarded as irresistibly engulfing.

There are so many things right with this piece I don't know which I liked the best. It all works so well. A very difficult piece to get right. From the wings to the texturing I love it all.
    Member Illiana Woodturners

Very nice indeed. I will leave this for the adults.
    WOOD SNIPER-Start off slow, then taper off