Thread: adjustable-height kids' table

adjustable-height kids' table

I'm planning to build a small dining table for my nieces to use when we have family get-togethers, or just for playing with their dolls and whatnot. I want to build a trestle-style table so that it's durable and simple, but I'm debating whether or not to make the height adjustable. Obviously, little nieces grow up. The oldest is only about 2 right now and loves to sit at her little plastic table and eat. But before long, she's going to need a taller table.

Has anyone ever built a table that adjusts up and down? I have a couple of ideas I'll sketch out and attach to this post later. For now, any ideas?

How big are you thinking the top of this table would be?

I really don't have experience with building furniture for kids but it seems to me it would be easier to temporary adjust the seats than the table. Until the kids are grown, they will probably always be different sizes and, from my observation, kids don't have to be able to sit comfortably, at just the right height, at a table as adults do. A thick book and cushion on the seat (or more custom accommodation, if you want) would probably do the trick.

I built a short desk which converted to a taller desk as the child got taller. I did the height conversion by adding slip-on shoes for the bottom ends of the legs. You could do something similar for a trestle table.