Thread: Outdoor dining table

Outdoor dining table

I'm a long time lurker member, this may be my first post.

I'm needing to build a top for an outdoor dining table. I already have the base and know the size table I would like, but have a few questions. The base is 49"x20" and the top will be 83"x44.5 (overhang on ends= 17"). Because of the metal construction of the base I will not be able to brace the ends, so I'm worried about sagging. I have a couple of questions: 1) Is this too much overhang for all woods, if not which woods would you recommend? 2) What thickness wood would be best?

I'm currently considering Ipe, mahogany, and Purple Heart and 4/4 to 8/4 lumber.

All thoughts and suggestions are appreciated.

I'm also pretty new to this but I can provide my perspective on what you're doing. All three of those woods should do well outside. Purpleheart and ipe are both a little tricky to work with, particularly ipe due to its highly interlocked grain pattern. Both will extract a bit more of a toll on your tool edges than the mahogany.

I would be looking at 6/4+ for thickness. Sagging of the ends should not be much of an issue.

Just my 2 cents.

Be sure to post pics!

Any one of those species should be able to handle a 17" overhang at the end in a 6/4 (or greater) thickness.

The biggest thing that will make or break your table is allowing for wood movement. Hope you have this well planned!