Thread: Just got a Leslie 91000 drill bit sharpener and don't know much about it

Just got a Leslie 91000 drill bit sharpener and don't know much about it

My shop is both wood and metal and all my bits are dull to the point where they don't cut very fast in wood. I was going to buy a new set of bits but came across a Leslie 91000 industrial drill bit sharpener for 50 bucks on CL. I went to the guys house during lunch and picked it up. THis is a serious machine and one that would be found in a machine shop. Does anyone know it?
    Do or do not, there is no try.

Only $50? Sounds like a serious gloat!

John

I used one too many years ago to remember the details. As I recall it was a nice grinder and straight forward to use. You can download the manual from the Lisle website: 91000 Drill Grinder Catalog & Instructions

Sharpening by hand is not difficult, there are some good YouTube videos on it. My wife bought me a Drill Doctor for Christmas one year. I played around with it and it does a nice job but I can sharpen a dozen bits by hand in the time it takes to pull out & set up the DD.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

I tried that Bruce but I am too ham fisted to get it even in all dimensions. Thanks for the link.

Practice, practice, practice!
    It's like learning how to ride a bicycle, once it clicks, you never forget. As a mold maker apprentice I HAD to learn how.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

That may be true Bruce, but this is a cool tool and that has value on its own. We are flying out to Santa Fe Friday. I am looking forward to the chance to relax for a bit.

Santa Fe is beautiful this time of year. Give me a shout if you visit Albuquerque.

Andy Rooney

I appreciate the offer Bruce. We are flying into Denver and renting a car and taking 25 into Santa Fe. I don't think we'll get down to ABQ this trip, but we are going to send some time looking at houses....so I may be out there before next winter.

About the grinder. It was missing a couple screws and the diamond facing piece for dressing the wheel. I was able to replace all the missing screws from my stash and am waiting for a call from Leslie about the diamond piece. I didn't do a concourse job of refurbing it, just cleaned and lubed it. I think it will be a dandy.
    Last edited by Dennis Nagle; 04-23-2014 at 3:52 PM.

Hopefully the diamond dresser doesn't cost you more than the grinder did.
    It's a pretty good drive from Denver. LOML & I drove up to Denver & back last fall.

Andy Rooney

I just ordered it......9 bucks!!!