Thread: Lets try this again........

Lets try this again........

I have a collection of "The Automobile" magazines from 1900-1903 that I would like to find out their worth.

I AM NOT LOOKING TO SELL ON THIS FORUM, JUST WANT ADVISE ON HOW TO FIND THE VALUE!

I have done some research but can find little. I did find on the Smithsonian site that there are a lot of issues that there are no known copies of. How does one go about researching this, I can find little in the normal search, especially as "The Automobile" brings up so much other stuff. Again, I am not looking for an appraisal, but how to go about finding an honest one.

Thanks, Larry

Larry,
    I wonder if there is an auto forum equivalent to SMC? I wonder if a library researcher could provide any insight. Or a dealer of rare books? May be try a search for 'magazine collections'. Sounds like those would be an interesting read. Jeff

My sister is a librarian, in fact was president of the Michigan Library Advisory Council for many years and gave me a couple of numbers, but they did not deal in this sort of thing.

They are an interesting read. Many of the features on the cars are being touted as new today, such as Hybrids. Most interesting is the ads for all of the components. The number of companies manufacturing parts is astounding.

Larry

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Bartley View Post
    Larry,
    I wonder if there is an auto forum equivalent to SMC? I wonder if a library researcher could provide any insight. Or a dealer of rare books? May be try a search for 'magazine collections'. Sounds like those would be an interesting read. Jeff
    I agree - this is where I would look. Find some sort of auto collector forum.

Possibly contact some of the car clubs that specialize in cars from that era. Also possibly the Automotive Hall of Fame and The Henry Ford both in Dearborn.doubt any of them can/will help you directly but might be able to direct you to an appraiser.

The Detroit Public Library has a huge automotive collection and attendant specialized librarians. You could start there. I used to browse the collection while attending Wayne State University.
    As to value - they are only worth what someone is willing to pay. That means an auction, either online or try various concours events, Pebble Beach, or in Michigan - Meadowbrook Hall has a concours event each year.
    Sadly, I think you will find that there is minimal value to your collection. It is likely that a publication like Automobile or Motor, both venerable English publications have already scanned their past issues into digital form.
    Mike
    From the workshop under the staircase, Clinton Township, MI
    Semper Audere!

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Edgerton View Post
    Again, I am not looking for an appraisal, but how to go about finding an honest one.
    http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/m...orth/index.htm

http://www.appraisers.org/find-an-appraiser

http://www.isa-appraisers.org/find-an-appraiser

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/roadshow/appraisers/
    "Live like no one else, so later, you can LIVE LIKE NO ONE ELSE!"
    - Dave Ramsey

I believe the American Classic Car Club museum in Hershey Pa. has a refererence library. You might check with them.

Another place that may be of help is Classic Car Magazine, by Hemmings. If you drop them a note, they may have a reference for you.

Rick Potter

Some good suggestions, thank you.

Larry