Thread: Does anyone know about a lacquer that is as thick or thicker than syrup???

Does anyone know about a lacquer that is as thick or thicker than syrup???

Hi All, I saw a video some time ago and the guy had a piece of wood that was slowly rotating and he was brushing on a very very thick lacquer. He only gave it that one coat and when cured, sanded it down with 600 grit and buffed it. Looks like it would sure beat building up coats of lacquer.
    Do or do not, there is no try.

Yes, let the can sit without the lid on it until you're happy with the consistency. You might need to stir once in a while to keep it from skimming over/keep it uniform. But solvents evaporate quickly.

I guess the old adage is true. The best answers are always the simplest. I'll give that a try Nick.

That's the good thing about lacquer. It's solvent based so once you have the solvents leave, you're left with what actually goes onto the work piece (nitrocellulose). It will be very fast drying. I'd recommend Deft brushing lacquer for what you're doing. It's slower than spray lacquer and won't get sticky quite as fast as say (to list an easy to find one) Sherwin's ProMar lacquer or their LOVOC stuff which are made for spraying.

That looks like the ticket Nick. I would think the first coat should be thin to act as a grab between the wood and the one final super thick coat. ??? I have a1/4 hp motor that is geared to spin at 7rpm. I am thinking of building a rack to rotate my pieces with this motor while I apply the really thick coats, the let is rotate until it is dried.

Parks Super Glaze maybe? Or any other resin/activator combo. It's not exactly a lacquer, but you can pour on roughly 1/8" thick coats at a time, and it's self leveling.