Thread: Dewalt 735 table top planer vs. Makita table top planer

Dewalt 735 table top planer vs. Makita table top planer

A table top planer is pretty much all I currently have money for. I've read articles and found that the Dewalt 735 and Makita are the two top table top planers on the market. They are both in the the same price range and get great reviews. The Dewalt seems to be more popular, but that's not what I'm worried about. The big advantage I've heard about the Makita is that the blades last longer and are cheaper. As far as quality goes, I'm not sure which one is a better buy

I've been doing the same research for months and the major difference I find between those two planers is the fact that the DW735 can accept a Byrd head. If the Makita could accept a Byrd (or vice versa, Byrd would make one for the 2012NB) then I would buy the Makita as my preference. But the 735 is on my radar and I'm just watching prices. I keep kicking myself for not buying one during Amazon Black Friday sales for $469 for the DW735X set. I have no desire to run the Dewalt blades. I have a 733 and those blades do quite well, but the 735 blades seem to be inferior for longevity from all reviews.

If you plan to run straight knives, I don't think you can go wrong with either one. The Makita may be cheaper in the long run though w.r.t. to knives.

I can't speak to the Makita, but i've had a Delta 12", a DW 733 (both bought used) and 2 years ago bought a 735 (floor model, never used). Nice machine, but replacing knives isn't cheap. Still, the DW 735 on old knives cut better than the Delta did with new knives. That said--when Grizzly had the 10% off i bought a Byrd Shelix head for the 735. Incredible difference so far. I can cut deeper, so it's taking fewer passes, and with better results. I justified it to my wife by explaining that i wouldn't be spending $60 2x/year for knives--instead just a few carbide cutters from time to time--would cover the bulk of the cost. Time will tell, but even as a hobbyist it's possible that i may not have stretched the truth too much. I gotta say that it was tough to spend $400 on an upgrade to a machine i paid less than $350 for, but am happy now that it's done.
    earl

If it we're be I'd buy the Dewalt, it better yet a used 15" 4 poster.

A couple comments. Blades might be cheaper on one of the machines, but for the frequency a hobbiest wears out blades I think that it is a consumable cost that should be ignored.
    As far as installing a Byrd head, my personal opinion is that you should spend the money on a bigger/stouter machine before upgrading a benchtop unit with that kind of cash. A new benchtop planer and then a Byrd head will set you back at least a grand, and at that point you can get a very nice larger stationary machine.

I am a hobbyist and have the DW735. The blades that DW supplies seem to be prone to chipping. I used the blades that came in the machine to surface 1000's of feet of VGDF before they got some nicks in them. I rotated the blades to the other edge (they are double edged) and knicked them within minutes on a pin knot in some WRC. Oops. The blades are indexed so I'll be living with that knick until I change the blades.

I would like to upgrage to a Byrd head at some point, although for the $$ a better machine could be had. I just don't have the space for that better machine.

Another issue I have with the DW735 is that the feed rollers tend to slip more than I'd like. If I keep them clean they do better, but it sure is irritating to have a board stall in the planer....

I'm a big fan of my DW735. The straight knives are doing alright so far and I've been lucky enough to not get any chips yet (knock on wood). I plan on getting the Shelix when I can. The DW735 is loud and I think my neighbors would appreciate the reduction in noise. And I'll appreciate the quality of cut!

I have friends that have either one of these planers… from their feedback I can surmise they both cut equally well. As for durability, I’d give the nod to the Makita planer. I own both Makita and Dewalt power tools… my Makita’s last much longer. However, what tips the scale for me is the noise. The Dewalt is much noisier than the Makita planer. The Makita is considered the quietest bench top on the market I believe. As for installing a Byrd cutter head, I have to agree with the comment above… I can’t see a positive cost-benefit to installing a $500+ cutter heard in the bench top planer. Just my opinion of course.

I had the 735 and debated getting a shelix for it for a long time.

I asked similar questions here and was ultimately swayed to put the money towards a stationary 15". I don't regret that at all so far.