Thread: I have some Norway Spruce logs I'd like to use

I have some Norway Spruce logs I'd like to use

I cut down a few Norway Spruce trees on my property in preparation for a delivery of some new hardwood trees. I saved a couple 11 1/2 foot logs, about 10" diameter at the base tapering to about 5-6" at the top. I'd like to use these as posts for a firewood shed annex on my garage.

Should I do anything to preserve them, besides setting them on concrete piers, and putting a good roof over them? How high should I make the piers? I live in Western New York, and my land is fairly low and flat.

Good idea to put piers under the posts. You would want to dig a hole about 4' deep, or below frost depth in your area, whatever is deeper,IMHO, and use some steel plates with rebar through the 2 to anchor the steel to your concrete, and pour the concrete at least 6" above what your finished grade will be. I'd also cover the posts with metal or other on the sides exposed to the weather. And I'd want the steel to extend up onto the posts approx 2'. Put bolts through the steel and the posts, use several bolts. What I'm advising is the way Morton Buildings repairs posts that rot off.