Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Credit card got hacked.

Our credit card was confiscated in the ticket line at Windsor Castle. Luckily, her card number was different from mine, so we managed to continue the trip. When we got back, it turned out a reported stolen CC was entered into the system, with one digit off....making it ours.

Glad it worked out, I sure didn't want to miss our appointment with the Queen.

My card was hacked 3 weeks ago. There were about 7 charges totaling less than $400. I spoke to a bank rep when it happened, they flagged the first charge they thought was bogus, but didn't lock the card until the the 7th charge, because they wanted to be sure; they didn't want to create an inconvenience for us by cancelling our card until they were dead certain it wasn't us charging on it. The dead giveaway was a $90 charge to Grub Hub in PA. They knew we weren't in PA ordering up food delivery!
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Potter View Post
    Our credit card was confiscated in the ticket line at Windsor Castle. Luckily, her card number was different from mine, so we managed to continue the trip. When we got back, it turned out a reported stolen CC was entered into the system, with one digit off....making it ours.

Glad it worked out, I sure didn't want to miss our appointment with the Queen.
    Hope you found the Queen well.
    My three favorite things are the Oxford comma, irony and missed opportunities

The problem with humanity is: we have paleolithic emotions; medieval institutions; and God-like technology. Edward O. Wilson

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Peterson View Post
    The maximum liability for any credit card fraud is limited to somewhere around $250, as long as it is reported within either 60 or 90 days. Usually the credit card company waives the fees.

Steve
    It's probably debit cards your thinking of Steve. With credit cards, your maximum liability for fraudulent charges is $50. If you report the loss or theft of your card before it's used, you're not liable for anything. In most cases, even the $50 is waived (Visa, for instance, has a zero liability fraud protection policy).

Debit cards: The rules vary based on the situation. If you've lost your card or it's been stolen, you must report the loss within two business days to limit your liability to $50. If you take more than two days to report it, you can be liable for up to $500.
    "Whether you think you can, or you think you can’t - you’re right."
    - Henry Ford

Quote Originally Posted by Ole Anderson View Post
    I live in Michigan and have been in Florida for 2 months. Thursday evening I got a call and an email from our credit card company (FifthThird/MasterCard) saying they have noted suspicious activity and have frozen our card. Looking over our online statement this morning, in one day someone in Illinois used our credit card info at Wal-Mart, Sam's Club, OfficeMax and Toys R Us to the tune of 38 transactions and $5,695. Thank goodness for the computers in the fraud division catching this so quickly. 5/3 is overnighting new cards to us today so we can keep supporting the local tourist economy. Makes me wonder how someone got our info and who ends up paying the bill? And will there be any repercussions to us. We'll see how it plays out.
    Any idea where or when your card got hacked?

Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    The dead giveaway was a $90 charge to Grub Hub in PA. They knew we weren't in PA ordering up food delivery!
    This is the kind of thing that puzzles me. In an instance where there is a *delivery*, there ought to be an address to chase the ordered goods too--can't the CC company alert the police and investigate that? At the same time, seems kind of like stupid crooks too...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Wintle View Post
    Any idea where or when your card got hacked?
    No idea. I would think that it must have been somewhere they physically had the card where they could swipe it through a device to copy the mag strip and then construct a new card. And then the fake card probably purchased over the internet given the location? If the fraud was for internet purchases, there are a whole other list of scenarios. As the purchases were at a bricks and mortar store, no ccw needed and almost never a requirement to show id, nor get an address. Only chance they take is when it is finally reported stolen and the clerk keeps it and tips off store security before they leave which probably never happens.
    Last edited by Ole Anderson; 04-27-2014 at 9:59 AM.
    NOW you tell me...

Quote Originally Posted by Eric DeSilva View Post
    This is the kind of thing that puzzles me. In an instance where there is a *delivery*, there ought to be an address to chase the ordered goods too--can't the CC company alert the police and investigate that? At the same time, seems kind of like stupid crooks too...
    Smart crooks have stuff delivered to vacant houses. UPS and Fedex often just leaves deliveries not requiring signatures at the door. The crooks will come by later that day and pick up the delivery.

Blog Entries
    Our credit card was hacked about a month ago. It was a Chase Bank card. They emailed us on the 1st charge that looked fraudulent to them. They were right. The hacker only got 2 charges done. Both charges were to a video store in California, I think about $100 in fraudulent charges all together.

Chase Bank was really good about it. They removed the fraudulent charges from our account and had replacement cards to us next day.

Other than groceries most every purchase we make is with a credit card.

PHM

I just checked online my card activity, all of the fraudulent charges have been removed and the account closed.
    Glad it's resolved with just only a minor inconvenience.
    Last edited by Ruhi Arslan; 04-28-2014 at 9:07 AM.

I seemed to have bought tickets to a soccer game in Spain, bought some spy camera stuff from a company in Texas' and a bunch of small stuff. Everything was bought online on my MasterCard. I just had to file a police report, fax it to them and everything not mine was deleted.
    Epilog 24TT(somewhere between 35-45 watts), CorelX4, Photograv(the old one, it works!), HotStamping, Pantograph, Vulcanizer, PolymerPlatemaker, Sandblasting Cabinet, and a 30 year collection of Assorted 'Junque'

Every time you make a typo, the errorists win

I Have to think outside the box.. I don't fit in it anymore

Experience is a wonderful thing.
    It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Every silver lining has a cloud around it

No idea. I would think that it must have been somewhere they physically had the card where they could swipe it through a device to copy the mag strip and then construct a new card. And then the fake card probably purchased over the internet given the location? If the fraud was for internet purchases, there are a whole other list of scenarios. As the purchases were at a bricks and mortar store, no ccw needed and almost never a requirement to show id, nor get an address. Only chance they take is when it is finally reported stolen and the clerk keeps it and tips off store security before they leave which probably never happens.
    my credit card was cloned at the corner gas station. It was in the morning and I was not totally watching them when they handled the card....the must have had the reader just below the counter and did the copy very fast, i did not even see them do it. I had to sign an affidavit from my card company stating that it was not me who made some purchases totaling about $330 from itunes.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Elfert View Post
    Smart crooks have stuff delivered to vacant houses. UPS and Fedex often just leaves deliveries not requiring signatures at the door. The crooks will come by later that day and pick up the delivery.
    But grubhub is food... What delivery guy would leave without his tip?

Quote Originally Posted by Ruhi Arslan View Post
    Glad it's resolved with just only a minor inconvenience.
    How minor the inconvenience is in direct proportion to how many automatic payments and/or associated 'card on file' the cancelled card was involved with... I'm right in the thick of THAT nightmare at the moment... power company, phone company, internet provider, several shippers, online shopping centers, etc etc... what a pain!
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle