Thread: Georgian Foot Stool "Sampler"

Georgian Foot Stool "Sampler"

As I near the end of my two years at The North Bennet Street School it's good to look back and see how much I have learned. I have been a serious hobbiest for many years, but after retiring fron career number one and deciding to make furniture full time, I knew I had a lot to learn.

For quite a few years now students at NBSS have the option to make the "crazy" foot stool, or what I refer to as a foot stool "sampler". The idea is simple, develop skills in making four different cabriole legs, including different carving treatments and rail designs, and marry it into a single piece. There is so much skill development in this single piece of furniture, it is amazing. And, my thanks to one of NBSS instructors (they are all terrific), Steve Brown, who leads both the chair and foot stool projects.... No small task, I assure you!

This foot stool was crafted in some nice mahogany I sourced from Irion. Upholstery was done in the traditional manner with webbing, burlap, muslin, horse hair, cotton.... All of this instructed by Lance Patterson, another of the NBSS faculty.
    Finish was treatment with potassium dichromate followed by shellac and wax.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Love me some NBSS - an the stool is awesome, too! Great job.